History of Consumerism Around Holidays- The End?

11/30/17

"CHRISTMAS IN JULY." Magill's Survey of Cinema. 1995. eLibrary. Web. 20 Nov. 2017.

This is a summary of a film by famous playwright Preston Sturges, from the 1930/40s. The book is (in short) about how a married couple enter a contest to gain money, while their friends play a prank on them by sending them their acceptance letter; this makes the couple go out and buy gifts for poor children, building up their debt without them realizing it, until they hear the winner hasn't been decided yet. Though the article barely touches on consumerism, it still shows how objects and money were valued back then.

Amadeo, Kimberly. "The History of Black Friday Started Earlier Than You Think." The Balance, 31 Oct. 2017,

Kimberly Amadeo talks about how since around the year 1905 people have been gradually caring more and more about money, and 'want' products, than the actual holiday season, and celebrating it with the people around them. She also talks about how Thanksgiving was placed in November, and how Black Friday got it's name through the years. This can be helpful information, because it shows how fast generations of people can change the meaning of different holidays through the years, with one simple action.

Eblen, Shannon. "A new generation is discovering the joys of Christmases past." Courier Post; Cherry Hill, N.J.. 18 Dec. 2016 eLibrary. Web. 16 Nov. 2017.

Eblen Shannon starts out in her abstract talking about classic, holiday movies and jell-o molds, saying later that she 'gladly leave those in the 1950s.' Her whole article covers different traditions made over the years from classic movies, to new aluminum trees for the holidays. Using this article can help show different products that started in the mid 19th century, that helped lead to traditions today.

Logemann, Jan. DIFFERENT PATHS TO MASS CONSUMPTION: CONSUMER CREDIT IN THE UNITED STATES AND WEST GERMANY DURING THE 1950s AND '60s.

In this document by Jan Logemann, the consumerism between Germany and the United States are compared from the 1950s-60s. He also explains why there was an influx of consumerism in that time in both regions. There could be some, but not many ideas that can be used to answer our main question, but with the comparisons mostly tied to Germany it would be harder to use this information. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

I knoooooooow what a boring project!!! This is definitely not the end, but I will be taking a short hiatus from uploading and writing my other books.  Back to what I was saying though, from what I can find this is the last document in my google docs account for my high school career.  I don't know when this will be posted but right now it's 6/21/18 11:07 at night, the day before I am to graduate high school.  To be honest, its been one hell of a ride and I really wish that it could go on just the tiniest bit longer lol but I guess life just doesn't work that way.  I hope that anyone who reads this in the future, whether I know you or not realizes that some things shouldn't be taken for granted, because once it's all gone you'll wish that you could have it all back.  And for whoever does know me irl that I left behind after my graduation whether you were an underclassmen or just from another country(i'm talking to you Miranda) know that leaving high school and starting the rest of your life will be the hardest part of your teen years by far...and I hope you learn some valuable lessons from the people around you because like tumblr always says, "they're either a blessing or a lesson." I hope to be able to share parts of my college experience here with you all soon!

Good luck to all of you in the future,

~SoFran