9. In Which She Ends Up With Ninety-Nine Problems.

Skylar Hart had spent most of her life with her nose buried in a book. Introverted, shy and downright quiet (most of the time) she preferred to melt into the background. But like with great power comes great responsibility, with great fame, comes scandalous news articles.

For a private person like Skylar, having her personal life laid out for people to take potshots at on TMZ, was downright stressful. Both the men in her life, in sequential order, fiance and baby daddy were having a difficult time assuring her everything was going to be okay. But she found it hard to believe given their precarious situation i.e being stuck in an upscale restaurant on the Upper East Side with a traumatized baby while Ethan's security barricaded the door to stop the paparazzi from entering. The sound of muffled screams and irritating camera flashes echoed around them.

"We have to get out of here." Skylar said, "The crowd is only getting worse."

Ethan grabbed a wailing Penny from her arms and tried to soothe her, "Shhh. Baby, it's okay. Daddy's got you. We'll be out of here soon enough." Penny's crying reduced to sniffles and when Ethan passed her to Stefan, she cuddled into his chest, her face still scrunched up in a frown.

"The security team is on it. Marcus has called for back up." He told Skylar and Stefan, after getting off of the phone with his head of security. "We're going to have to take them head-on, are you okay with that?"

Skylar nodded, "I'm okay with that. But the moment they try to get to Penny, I won't hold back any punches."

Skylar eyed the other patrons who had unfortunately ended up trapped with them. Most of them looked at the quartet with sympathy but there were a few who looked at them with a hint of malice and curiosity.

Just then, Ethan's phone rang, it was Marcus informing them that a path was being cleared and Ethan's Escalade had been pulled up as close to the entrance as possible.

"Skylar should carry Penny, I'll flank her and Ethan, you should walk ahead of us, fend off the bloodthirsty bats." Stefan took charge of the situation. He was worried about them spooking his sleeping daughter and Skylar looked like she could use some help.

And that is how they broke out of jail. Ethan walked out first accompanied by two of his very muscular bodyguards, who Skylar would later find out were former Marines, his fists clenched and his expression impenetrable behind those dark shades. All sorts of terrible questions were thrown at him, 'Are you going to claim your bastard child?', 'Did you cheat on Kendra with Skylar?', 'Are you going to get a DNA test done?', 'Do you think Skylar is a gold digger?' etc. He fielded all of their questions like a boss and cleared a path for Skylar, Penelope, and Stefan.

Inside the car, they found themselves in an uncomfortable silence which was only broken by Penny stirring awake from her nap.

"You okay baby?" Skylar asked her.

"Did the bad people go away, Mama?" Penelope whispered. "They tried to hurted Daddy." Her tears started back up.

Skylar's heart broke for her little girl. "Yes honey, they're all gone. We're safe now."

She could see both the men's anger and sadness for the blue-eyed baby cradled in her arms. Ethan hugged Penny close to his chest and placed soothing kisses to her hair. "No. Baby, they could never hurt your daddy. I'm fine, we're all fine. I'll never let them hurt you or your Mama again."

"Daddy Swevan." Penny crawled out of Ethan's lap and into Stefan's, seeking comfort from her dad.

Just then, Marcus cleared his throat from the front seat of the SUV. "Sir, I think it would be a good idea for Miss. Hart and the child to stay away from the apartment for a little while."

When they looked out of the car window, the street Skylar's apartment was located on had paparazzi crawling all over it. If they got out now, they would surely be walking into an ambush.

"I think you should come stay with me for a few days baby, you're pretty much moved in any way. You can go back home once things calm down around here." Stefan suggested.

Ethan's fists tightened, he said she'd pretty much moved into his house. He couldn't lose them before he'd even tried so he interrupted.

"I think staying with me would be a better option since I have better security and no one would dare to trespass in a gated community," Ethan said, trying hard to contain the smugness in his voice.

Skylar agreed with him. As much as she wanted to stay with Stefan, she had to put Penelope first and consider the option that would ensure her safety. If that meant staying with Ethan, she'd do it. "Yes, I think so too."

Stefan, to her surprise, agreed instantly. "Yes. That's a better idea. Penny needs all the security she can get. Your place is a safer option for her."

Ethan smiled at another battle won. He asked his driver to drop Stefan off at his apartment and drive the three of them back to his place.

Stefan got out at his destination and left his fiance and daughter with goodbye kisses and a promise to see them soon.

Ethan's house wasn't just a house. It was a mansion. Nestled in the most expensive, exclusive part of the city, it was a sight to behold. A three storey tall structure made with more glass than brick and mortar, overlooking a lake. The sheer opulence of the house left Skylar gaping.

The inside was as beautiful as the outside. It was tastefully decorated in monochrome shades and beautiful paintings and looked lived in. Skylar had always imagined that Ethan's house would be like him, cold and clinical. Be she was pleasantly surprised.

Ethan smiled softly at the scene in front of him. How many times had he imagined this situation in his dreams? But reality was far more beautiful. Skylar loved this home, he could tell. He couldn't wait to show her the nursery he had made for Penelope.

He grabbed her hand and led her up the stairs to his destination. They stopped right in front of the door and Ethan opened it with a flourish aimed at making her laugh. He succeeded.

The room was painted the color of a California sunset, with pretty hues of pink, orange, blue, purple and yellow. All of the furniture was white every inch covered in baby toys. The ceiling had been painted like a night sky with all the major constellations. Skylar stood in the middle of the room with tears welling up in her eyes.

"I painted the sky," Ethan confessed.

"Thank you." Skylar mouthed before turning her attention Penny, who was fast asleep in her arms.

Ethan took three swift steps towards where she was standing making her look up at him.

"I'm sorry. I've been waiting to do this for a while and I don't think I can talk myself out of it anymore." Ethan apologized before he lowered his lips to hers.