6. In Which Her Life Becomes An Episode Of General Hospital

The world is a rather cruel place, a never-ending rat race if you will. He who fights for what he wants earns it but sometimes fighting alone is not enough. Sometimes, a little more is required i.e a little bit of cheating.

Ethan wanted Penelope in his life and he wished more than anything that Skylar would pick him in the end. But with the way things were progressing, he doubted she would. She'd invited him to her engagement party, for fuck's sake. Things between them were now rather civil. Ethan went over to her apartment every weekend to try and bond with Penny and the toddler was slowly warming up to him.

The change had been too slow for his liking and she still squealed as though on a sugar high around Stefan but she was gradually starting to accept Ethan's presence in her life.

Skylar admired her reflection in the full-length strobe mirror, smoothing out the non-existent creases in her rose gold-hued gown. Her hair had been intricately placed in a chignon with Swarowski hair pins to hold them together and wisps of auburn hair framed her face.

Today was the day, the day her engagement to Stefan was to be made public. It was also the day she would meet the rest of his family. Stefan's mother, Mrs.King had painstakingly planned the party, down to its nitty-gritty details. So the party was bound to be a rather grand affair.

Samantha walked into her bedroom with Penny in her arms, both of them giggling at something the former had said. Samantha's dress was a pastel blue with silver sequins on top and a net overlay. Penny's dress was a custom made blush pink gown that complemented Skylar's.

Penny gasped as soon as she saw her, "you look pwetty mommy."

"Thank you, baby." Skylar blew her a kiss, much to the toddler's delight.

"You look beautiful Sam, Sharp's not going to be able to keep his eyes off you," Skylar commented, earning a blush from her best friend.

"You're one to talk," Samantha rolled her eyes in mock annoyance but the smile on her face gave it away.

"Let's go, he's waiting downstairs in the lobby." Skylar couldn't stop smiling, today was the first day of the rest of her new life but a small speck of doubt lingered.

Stefan's smile lit up his face when he saw her approach him, the beautiful dress draped over her like a second skin and made it look like she was floating rather than walking. He knew for sure that she would always be the most beautiful woman in the room.

"You look beautiful, Sky." He breathed out when she reached him.

The smile she returned was breathtaking, "You look pretty dapper yourself."

"Daddy?" Penelope peeked from behind her mother.

He picked her up and spun her in the air, "you look, beautiful baby. Just like a real princess." He kissed her rosy cheeks causing her to giggle.

"Shall we?" He held his hand out and Sky placed hers in it.

That night, The Ritz Carlton's Grand Ballroom was decked up in shades of champagne and rose gold, with crystals and white roses serving as companions. Centerpieces comprising of tall golden branches, encased in glass vases with crystal beads and candles in jars hanging from them, decorated each table. Individual placemats had been assigned while making sure that no feuding relatives would be forced to sit next to each other.

The guests started to trickle in early and by eight-thirty almost every guest was in attendance. It was a rather grand affair, with celebrities from the fashion, film and business industries in attendance. The only ones missing were the engaged couple.

Ethan was already regretting it. He berated himself for even accepting her invitation to her engagement party. But she had looked at him with so much hope and he wanted to mend bridges with her, he couldn't refuse.