Chapter 26

Okay. Hey guys I'm really sorry, I know this chapter didn't show up for most of you and so I'm going to rewrite it.

This might be a little different from the way it was written last time, so bear with me. I don't keep back ups of my chapters.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Felix showed up two hours later to find Celene pacing in the foyer. Penny was tugging on his hair trying to get his attention. He only smiled grimly at her, before depositing the child in Celene's arm and walked to the mini bar to pour himself a drink.

Since it was already past eight, Celene fed Penny a dinner of mashed potatoes and peas before putting the tired toddler to bed.

By the time she left the nursery Penny was fast asleep probably dreaming of rainbows and unicorns.

It was time to confront her fiancée.

She found Felix sitting statuesque by the fireplace, nursing a glass of scotch. His knuckles were turning white from holding onto the glass too hard.

He looked up at the sound of Celene's feet padding across the expanse of the room.

In the light of the glowing embers, Felix looked a broken man. His eyes were red rimmed, his hair all over the place due to his habit of running his hands through his hair when in stress. She gingerly sat next to him and put her hand on his constantly tapping hand, only for him to flinch away from her touch. She'd never say it out loud but it stung.

It's now or never. She encouraged herself to ask him the question that was on the tip of her tongue.

"Who was Melanie?" She asked, finally able to breathe.

A pained look came over Felix's face. He cleared his throat once before he began. "Melanie Anderson was the love of my life." Celene sucked in a breathe, her eyes starting to water.

So that's who she was to him. So who am I to him? A mere replacement for what he lost?

Before her thoughts could wander further, Felix continued. "I met Mel during my second year at NYU. She was a Designing Major and accidentally sat in my Advanced English class. I insisted to her that she was in the wrong class because I'd never seen a girl as beautiful as her in this class before, only for her flip me the bird and walk off. Unlike everyone else, she didn't know that I was the heir to Hemsworth Industries and she treated me like she'd treat everyone else. She was my breathe of fresh air." His voice cracked at the end and he quickly found his composure. "I had never met a girl who didn't want me for my money, until her. I asked her out a couple of times and she agreed, after months of chasing to go out on a date with me. I was over the moon. I meticulously planned our first date and made sure that she had a great time." He stopped talking for a few minutes at this point, his eyes glazed over as though he was lost in a past memory.

He began again,"We were together for a year and a half before I finally proposed. I had it all planned out, a proposal at the beach, the latest model of the Mercedes S-Class as an engagement present and a blue diamond ring. It was all going well until I showed her the car. We'd both had enough champagne to make us tipsy and she insisted on taking her new car for a spin. I insisted that we could do it the next day but she was adamant. So I gave in. That was the biggest mistake of my life." Felix choked out. "We both got in the car, I was in the passenger seat. She was driving a little fast, I told her to slow down but it was too late. She tried to stop the car, I know she did as soon as she saw the boulder but it was too late. The breaks weren't working and the car hit the boulder and flipped over, tossing me out but crushing her." He put his head in his hands and started sobbing.

Celene tried to pull him into her arms to comfort him but he shook his head. "I need to finish." He continued, "She died two days later in the hospital, she was in a coma and we'd lost the baby. Neither of us knew that we were expecting. The baby was only four weeks in. I would have been a father!" Felix screamed, suddenly getting off the couch and threw the glass at the wall and watched it shatter into pieces.

Celene's eyes filled up with tears for the man she loved. He had been through such horrible things in life.

"Then I find out that my mother was responsible for her death. I blamed myself all this time..." His voice cracked.

He sat on the floor and started sobbing. Celene didn't really know what to do. He was broken, so broken. So she sat down next to him and placed a hand oh his shoulder. He pushed her away and let out a strangled cry.

He hadn't meant to do it. Felix kept telling himself as he picked her up carefully in his arms as she stared at him with glassy eyes and placed her on the couch. He curled up around her.

I'm so sorry my love. He whispered to her as she fell into dreamless sleep.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

So this is the updated version what do you guys think? Lemme know. You know the protocol.

Vote.Fan.Comment.
XOXO,
Akki. ❤