28. Anna and Aang

This is meant to be Anna's Tales In Ba Sing Se segment. 

It had been several days since the party and the Dai Li have been watching us non-stop. Because of this we were unable to do anything so we all decided to take a break and relax. After all, we only just got to Ba Sing Se. With this in mind we all woke up one morning with plans to go out and explore the city. Well, everyone else had plans to go out and explore the city. I was planning on staying inside and reading.

We all stood in front of the bathroom mirror getting ready. I brushed out my hair and wove into its usual side braid which ran down my left shoulder. Katara stood beside me and pulled her hair into it's everyday loops and bun. The two of us looked over and saw Toph still asleep and covered in dirt.

Katara turned to me and said sometime, but in the mornings I was too drowsy to focus on the earth or her lips "can you say that again?" I signed.

"Is she going to get ready?" Katara repeated in sign language.

I shook "no" I signed turning back to the mirror "if she doesn't have a reason to she tends to stay her usal, messy, self."

A few hours later I looked up from my book and saw Katara and Toph leaving "where are you two off to?" I asked.

"I'm taking Toph out for a girls spa day!" Katara explained before dragging off my sister without another word.

I stared after them in shock before it melted into hurt. A girls spa day?!? Why didn't they invite me? I could tell from the way Toph was reacting that she didn't want to go, but I would have loved to. So why wouldn't they invite me?

I knew why, I don't fit into the rest of the group as well as the others. They all had a big roll of some kind, I had joked around this topic back when we were trying to stop the drill from getting into the city. But it was true.

I don't really contribute anything to our little rag-tag gang. I don't even help teach Aang earth-bending! Yeah, sure, I've given him a couple of lessons in my specialized mixed earth-bending style but other than that it was Toph who taught Aang. I really don't do much to help out the group, all I really do is practice my earth-bending hearing and working on new moves for my mixed bending. But it's not like that helps out the group at all.

I looked back down at my book, blinking the tears out of my eyes. It shouldn't surprise me that Katara and Toph were spending time alone together. I should be happy that they were becoming better friends, but that didn't stop me from feeling left out.

-----

It was maybe an hour before Aang got back "hey Anna." He said, walking over to me.

I looked up "hey Aang," I said "what have you been up to?"

"Just helping out a zookeeper with moving his animals." He said with a grin.

I blinked at him "okay..."

"What have you been doing?" He asked me.

"Reading" I said, showing him my book "Toph and Katara are off doing a spa day and Sokka left to go find girls."

Aang looked at me with shock "really? That's surprising."

I laugh "no really. It doesn't matter where we go Sokka is always going to flirt."

"Wha- no that's not what ment" Aang said "I mean that it's surprising you didn't go with Toph and Katara."

"Oh" I shrugged "well they didn't invite me, it's not that big of a deal."

"Still...." His voice trailed off as we sat down next to me. Looking like he was lost in thought. I glance at him before returning to my book. The two of us sat in comfortable silence before Aange spoke again "you know, while I was on my way back I passed by a library. Do you want to check it out with me?"

I look up "really?"

"Yeah!" Aang smiles at me "why not? It'll be fun and it'll be a way for me to make it up to you after what happened at the Spirit Library."

I laughed "you don't have to make it up to me Aang. But yes, I will go with you" I grin.

-----

Aang and I walked to the library he found and when we got there we sat at a table in the corner and read over a variety of books and scroll. Aang had been ecstatic when he found a couple with stories about Air-benders.

"Do you think they actually happened?" I asked him.

He shook his head "if they did I'm sure I would've heard about them at some point. That and whoever wrote these got some of their information wrong. It's pretty small but that wouldn't have happened if these were real." Aang smiled softly "still, it's fun to read them."

The two of us stayed there for hours just reading and chatting softly to each other, making sure not to interrupt anyone. When we walked back I felt so much better than I had earlier that day. We got back to the house and before we walked in Aang turned to me.

"Thanks for coming with me today."

"Of course," I smiled "I had fun. We should hang out like this again sometime."

"Yeah we should!" He said, nodding. He gave me one last smile before disappearing inside.

After Aang left I felt a strange fluttering feeling in my chest and my cheeks grew warm, the feelings only lasted a moment before they disappeared. I frowned, slightly confused as to what that feeling ment. But I pushed it aside and followed Aang back into the house.

------ 

A/N: Another chapter is done! We are one step closer to getting to the end. What did you all think of this chapter? Also, what do you think of having these longer chapters? I know that in the past chapters have been much shorter but I'm doing longer ones now so you guys get much more content in a single chapter.

Please Add, Vote, and Comment

-Isabel