27. One Crazy Party

After the three of us got ready we left Aang and Sokka behind with the promise to let them in through the side gate. We walked up to the guard and Toph shows him the official seal of our family "I think this will do."

"No entry without an invitation. Step out of line, please" the guard said.

"Look, the Pangs and the Yum Soon Hans are waiting in there for us!" Toph told him, annoyed "I'm going to have to tell them who didn't let me in."

The guard was unyielding "step out of line please." The guard points his finger to the side, and we move out of the way. Katara then walks over to a man stepping out of a carriage and we follow out of the way.

"Sir, I'm sorry to bother you, but my cousin lost our invitations." Her voice lowers to a whisper, "she's blind." She speaks again, normally. "Do you think you could help us? Our family's inside and I'm sure they're very worried."

The man smiles and bows his head "I am honored, please come with me." He walks toward the guard at the entrance and we follow him. The guard bows to him and lets us go into the palace. As we walk in, the three of us stick their tongues out at the guard while his back is turned. We walk into a hall and he turns to us "by the way, I'm Long Feng. I'm a cultural minister to the king."

"Pleasure to meet you" I say with a polite smile.

"I'm Kwa Mai," Katara said "and this is... Sue and Dum." She gestured to me and my sister and Toph yanks on her headdress.

"Now where is your family? Long Feng asked "I'd love to meet them."

"Uh ... I don't see them right now, but I'm sure we'll find them soon." Katara smiles "thanks for all your help." We try to walk away, but Long Feng appears in front of us.

"Don't worry, as your escort it would be dishonorable to abandon you ladies without finding your family first. We'll keep looking." The man turns around and leads us away, while Katara glances at Toph and I nervously.

-------

It had been about an hour since we arrived at the party and no matter what we did Long Feng would not leave u+s alone. I look around and my eyes land on Sokka and Aang, dressed as busboys. I nug Toph and we manage to make our way over to the boys.

"Another crab puff, please." Toph says and Sokka leans in with his tray to hand her a puff, clearly unaware it's her.

"You found us!" Aang cries.

"I'd know your little footsteps anywhere, Twinkle Toes."

I roll my eyes "I saw you and told her." Katara catches up to us, and I see Aang blushes when he sees her. I don't know why but for some reason this makes my heart ache in a really weird way.

Sokka opens his eyes once he realizes who we are "thanks for letting us in!"

"Sorry," Katara sais "but the guy who escorted us in won't let us out of his sight!"

Sokka looked around "what guy?"

Joo Dee suddenly rushes over to us, looking anxious "what are you doing here?" She asks, "you have to leave immediately, or we will be in terrible trouble!"

The woman tries to push Sokka, but he blocks her with his tray. "Not until we see the king." And just like that everything went downhill, fast.

The party guests ended up finding out that Aang was the Avatar and when the king shows up Aang tries to make his way over to him. But just before he did guards showed up and drag us away. But they don't do it up front and center, they just grab us when no one is looking. We are taken to a room where Long Feng is sitting in front of us.

"Why won't you let us talk to the king?" Sokka demands "we have information that could defeat the Fire Nation!"

"The Earth King has no time to get involved with political squabbles and the day to day minutia of military activities." Long Fang says.

I tilt my head, confused "isn't that his job? I've read books in politics and it sounds like that its the king's job to do just that."

"Yeah!" Aang cries " and this could be the most important thing he's ever heard."

"What's most important to his royal majesty is maintaining the cultural heritage of Ba Sing Se." Long Feng tells us. "All his duties relate to issuing decrees on such matters. It's my job to oversee the rest of the city's resources, including the military."

"So.. the king is just a figurehead." I clarify.

Toph grows angry "he's your puppet!"

"Oh, no, no. His Majesty is an icon, a god to his people. He can't sully his hands with the hourly change of an endless war."

"But we found out about a solar eclipse that will leave the Fire Nation defenseless. You could lead an invasion-" Sokka tries to say.

Long Feng stands up, annoyed. "Enough! I don't want to hear your ridiculous plan. It is the strict policy of Ba Sing Se that the War not be mentioned within the walls. Constant news of an escalating war will throw the citizens of Ba Sing Se into a state of panic. Our economy would be ruined, our peaceful way of life – our traditions – would disappear. In silencing talk of conflict, Ba Sing Se remains a peaceful, orderly utopia: the last one on Earth. There is no war within the walls. Here we are safe. Here, we are free."

There is silence, complete silence. Then I let out a scoff. "So you're just planning on lying to everyone in the hopes that it will all turn out okay." I fold my arms in disbelief.

"What they don't know can't hurt them." He says.

"Falsehood." I declare taking a step closer to Long Feng. "Knowledge is an incomparably valuable multi-purpose tool that is instrumental in identifying and solving any problem!" I said "if you're worried about getting hurt, then seek knowledge. It is our greatest weapon and our greatest defense."

"You can't keep the truth from all these people. They have to know." Katara cries out.

Aang steps forward, pointing a finger at Long Feng. " I'll tell them! I'll make sure everyone knows!"

"Until now, you've been treated as our honored guest." Long Feng says and steps forward and bends down to look Aang in the eye. Aang stares back at Long Feng, angrily. "But from now on, you will be watched every moment by Dai Li agents. If you mention the War to anyone, you will be expelled from the city." He turns around and walks over to the hearth behind him "I understand you've been looking for your bison. " He turns slightly to look at Aang "it would be quite a shame if you were not able to complete your quest." Long Feng sits down again, as a woman opens the door and walks toward us "now, Joo Dee will show you to your home."

We all look at the woman in surprise "Come with me, please" she says.

"What happened to Joo Dee?" Katara asks.

"I'm Joo Dee." The woman bows her head "I'll be your host as long as you're in our wonderful city." The new Joo Dee smiles cheerfully at us in the same artificial way as the last one did.

------

A/N: Happy Holidays everybody, hope you all enjoyed that chapter. Also I have left a refence to a different TV show/Web sires some where in this chapter. The first person to find it and tell me where it's from gets a future chapter dedicated to them! Also, what are you all doing for the holidays? I just got back from my brother's wedding and my grandparents are visiting. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. 

Please Add, Vote, and Comment.

-Isabel