Chapter 17: The Hartfeld Formal

The first rays of the sun wake Sarah the next morning, slanting through the window and falling across her face.

Sarah: Ow, my eyes....

Sarah checks her phone and bolts upright as she remembers what day it is.

Sarah: Oh, crap...the dance! I still have to figure out what to ask.

Sarah trudges out of the kitchen to find a fresh pot of coffee on the counter along with a note from Zack, Tyler and Abbie.

Sarah: 'Breakfast on the roof, come up and join us!' Sounds fun....

Sarah pours herself some coffee and heads upstairs to find Zack, Tyler, and Abbie eating cereal and looking out at the town of Hartfeld.

Sarah: Good morning, little miss heartbreaker. How's the big decision going? Made any progress?

Tyler: What big decision?

Abbie: Seriously, Tyler? You know I like you, but sometimes you're shockingly out of the loop.

Tyler: Sarah has to choose someone to take to the Hartfeld Formal tonight....and she's got three hotties vying for her affections!

Sarah: Don't remind me. I just want to have my coffee and cereal like a normal person and not have to worry about any of this.

Abbie: Sounds like you haven't made a lot of progress.

Tyler: Maybe we could make a pros and cons list?

Zack: As much as I'd love to break down Sarah's suitors into abstract bits of data, I don't think that approach is necessary....

Sarah: Actually, it sounds pretty helpful right about now...

Tyler: Don't be ridiculous. You know deep down who you watn to ask to formal...you just have to let yourself realize that.

Sarah: Huh?

Tyler: Just relax and close your eyes. Who's the first person you see?

Sarah closes her eyes and thinks back on memories of fall quarter.

Flashback

Chris: If the other guys on the football team saw me get tackled by a pretty girl, they'd never let me forget it. I'm Chris, by the way. Nice to meet you.

Flashback

Kaitlyn: You know how I said I wanted to get my courage up for something? This is what I needed the courage for...

Flashback

James: Actually...she's my fiancee!

Present

Sarah opens her eyes and grin at Zack.

Zack: Well...have you figured it out yet?

Sarah: I have. I finally know who I want to ask to the dance...

Tyler: Go to him, lass. Go get your man.

Sarah: Is he even up? It's pretty early....

Tyler: He said he was going out to run some drills or something....

Zack: Which is weird, considering football season just ended...

Sarah: Well, at least I know where he is. Thanks, guys!

Zack: Our pleasure.