Chapter 7: Rush Week

Two weeks after the sorority party, Sarah and Kaitlin are getting coffee at the campus cafe.

Kaitlyn: Hey, look, it's that barista guy Zack won't shut up about!

Sarah: Not so loud, Kaitlyn!

Brandon looks up from grinding espresso beans and walks over to his table.

Brandon: I'm sorry, I didn't hear you two come in.

Kaitlyn: Don't worry about it. We're used to being ignored.

Brandon: Why would you say that?

Sarah: Our roommate Chris pulled a total disappearing act.....

Kaitlyn: He's been spending way more time with his football buddies and those bitches from Kappa house.

Brandon: I know how that feels. My ex left me for a guy on the water polo team....Now his whole damn Facebook wall is nothing but pics with him and gym bros at frat parties. Tell you what. When you're ready to order, I'll throw in two cookies, free of charge. You look like you could use them.

Sarah: Thanks, Brandon.

As Brandon walks back behind the counter, Kaitlyn pats Sarah's hand sympathetically.

Kaityln: You know, maybe it's good you have some space from Chris, Sarah....

The door creaks open and a raucous crowd of football players and Kappa girls steams in.

Becca: Barista. Iced coffee. Now.

Sarah: You'd better not get anywhere near me with that thing.

Becca: Sarah, what a coincidence! I was just asking Chris about you.

Chris: Oh! Hi, Sarah. I didn't know that you were, uh--I mean, do you want to sit with us?

Sarah: Uh...sure. That sounds like fun. I'd love to hang out with your new friends.

Chris: Oh....great! Yeah. Come sit with us.

Over the next half hour, Sarah gets to know Chris's new friends.

Logan:....they said I was the first one who'd actually been able to eat the whole damn thing!

Madison: Wait...so are you saying they gave you thirty scoops of ice cream for free?

Logan: Well, sort of. I paid for it later....

An hour later

Darren: Yeah...the ankle will heal in a couple of months. Just in time for the season to be over.

Kaitlyn: Aw, shit! I broke a leg my sophomore year of high school. At least I got out of gym for a while...

Sarah leans over and whispers to Kaitlyn.

Sarah: This is actually going pretty well so far!

Kaitlyn: So far....