7. Poker

"How many times have I told you to get your hair out of your face?" Henry sighed and lifted Maddie off of the couch by her arm. Maddie groaned as he pulled her phone out of her hands. "You got 2 in a half hours 'till you can go home." Henry said and waved the phone out of her reach, putting it on a shelf. "Why can't I just go home now? We did all the chores." Maddie complained. 

"Unless you want to walk back home, we are not leaving for 2 and a half hours. Besides, Shawn is probably busy, and you can't walk 3 miles with that leg." Henry said and motioned to her bandaged leg. Maddie ran a hand through her messy hair. "Well what can I do then?" She whined. 

"We can play a game. I got cards, board games, timed games, anything you can think of." Henry said. Maddie raised an eyebrow. "How 'bout poker?" She asked slyly. Henry blinked in confusion. "Excuse me, what?" He asked. "Poker. Dad taught me, like, the first month I came to live with him." Maddie said. 

"Shawn taught you poker?" Henry gaped. Maddie grinned and grabbed her overnight bag off the ground next to the couch. "I got... a little less than half a pack of pineapple flavored gum, 8 dollars and a bunch of quarters, some granola bars and fruit snacks, and a whole bunch of hair binders." She said and pulled everything out. 

Henry raised his eyebrows and took out his wallet, counting his money. "If you lose, you give me your phone. If I lose, I give you... say, 450 bucks?" He bargained. Maddie licked her dry lips and looked at the money in his hand. "You're on." She said. 

~~~

Maddie proudly walked up her front steps, 2 hours later, with a wad of cash in her hand. Henry sighed. "I bet Shawn taught you some trick or someway to cheat." He said. Maddie held the money above her head. It was true, he had taught her ways to cheat, but she was never revealing that to anyone. "My money!" She giggled. "But why in God's name would he teach a 14 year old poker?" He muttered to himself. 

"Um... I was... almost 12 at the time." Maddie said. "You do know it's illegal to play poker until you're 18, right?" Henry sighed as Maddie took out her key to the door, unlocking it. "I know." She said and kissed him on the cheek. "Toodles!" She said and walked into the house, shutting the door behind her as Henry walked back down to his truck. 

"Dad? I'm home!" Maddie called. Shawn rushed to her, his hair messed up, lipstick on his face and neck, and only boxers and a shirt on. Well, sort of on. His hands were stuck in the shirt's head hole and his head stuck in one of the arm holes. "Oh, god..." Maddie groaned and shielded her eyes. 

"N-not what you think..." Shawn said and twisted around, pulling his shirt over his head correctly  this time. There was moving around in the other room. "No, it's exactly what I think... God... Grandpa was right... you were busy." Maddie moaned and held her hands over her eyes, trying to go up the stairs to her room. She ended up stumbling into the kitchen instead. 

"Okay, uh, one second." Shawn said and she heard his door shut. She lowered her fingers and shuttered. There was angry whispering in his room and he finally came out, fully clothed, Jules following behind him. Maddie put her hands over her eyes again. "I can't ever look at you the same." She said. 

"Aww, Tiger, you just caught us in a bad moment." Shawn said. Maddie peeked out from under her fingers. "Every moment is a bad moment." She said and slid her hands down her face and to her sides. Shawn looked at the clock. "Hey, you weren't supposed to be back for another 20 minutes." He pointed out. 

Maddie grinned and showed him her stack of money. Both Shawn and Jules widened their eyes. "Woah, got done robbing the bank earlier then planned?" He joked. "Poker." Maddie said. "I beat Grandpa." 

Jules folded her arms. "You do know that you could be arrested for being under age and playing poker, right?" "But I won't, because you wouldn't dare tell on me." Maddie grinned. Jules rolled her eyes and Shawn turned his head to look at her. "You wouldn't tell on her, right?" He asked. Jules scoffed. "Of course I wouldn't! You guys are practically family. But, if I were you, I would stop." 

There was a knock at the door and Maddie rushed to it. "Grandpa?" She asked. "I'm playin' you again." He said and pushed past her into the kitchen. Maddie followed and he suddenly stopped, her running into him. "Oh, uh, hello Detective." Henry said. "She won't tell." Maddie said. Henry bent down to whisper in her ear. "Kid, the police lie all the time." Henry whispered. "No, no, I truly won't tell." Jules promised. "In fact, I'll join you." "Me too! Ooh, you're playing with me, Maddie. I can teach you all the hacks." Shawn added and grinned evilly. 

~~~

"Damn it!" Shawn yelled. Him and Maddie lost, and so did Jules. Henry won. "Wait, we didn't say what the prize would be for who won." Maddie said and pulled Shawn's arm off of her waist, standing up and walking to the kitchen. She grabbed some pineapple juice and drank straight from the carton. Shawn snapped his fingers. "That's my girl!" He yelled. Jules and Henry both sighed. Shawn was all sugared-up.

"Well, since I won, I would like nothing from Juliet, 500 bucks from Shawn, and Maddie's phone." Henry said and smiled. "Dad, I'm still working on a case. I don't get paid 'till I crack it." Shawn said. Maddie handed Shawn the carton of juice and he drank straight from it too. "You kids are disgusting." Henry said. Maddie and Shawn fist-bumped. "Hell yeah we are." Maddie said and Henry raised his eyebrows. 

"Please, Mr. Spencer, I would like to give you something. After all, I did lose." Jules said to Henry. "I'll take a lil' bit of everything, babe." Shawn flirted and Jules rolled her eyes. "I was talking to your Dad, Shawn." Jules said. "Ew. I thought we were together." Shawn said and made a 'disgusted' face. 

"No, no, Juliet, I wanted to beat Shawn and Maddie's asses, not yours." Henry said. "When I crack this next case I'll pay you." Shawn sighed. "You can't ask for the same thing every time, Pop. Pick something else." Maddie said and opened the cookie jar, reaching in. "Hey! Who left only the raisin cookies?" She yelled. Everyone looked at Shawn. "I don't like raisin. They are deceitful. They pose as chocolate chip cookies. Posers!" He yelled at the cookie jar. 

"I can pick the same thing, kid. And I pick your phone." Henry said. "You're not getting my phone." Maddie said and chuckled. "How about a week? One week, that's it." Henry compromised. "No." Maddie said stubbornly. Shawn grabbed her phone off of the table and handed it to Henry. "Hey! You backstabbing traitor!" Maddie yelled and tried snatching the phone out of Henry's hands. 

"What's her password?" Henry asked and stood up, lifting the phone over his head so Maddie couldn't reach it. "I'll scream if you tell him." Maddie warned Shawn. "It's an easy password. Probably the easiest in the world." Shawn said and Maddie lunged for him. He grabbed her and wrestled her to the ground. "I will scream!" Maddie said. He put his hand over her mouth. "What is it? Like, 1-1-1-1-1-1?" Henry asked. Maddie started screaming, but it was muffled by Shawn's hand. 

Jules watched what they were all doing worriedly. "Oh, don't worry Jules, this happens everyday." Shawn said. "You tackle her to the ground and prevent her screaming?" Jules asked. "Yes." Henry and Shawn said in unison. "What's her password?" Henry asked. "1-2-3-4-5-6." Shawn said and Maddie kicked him in the thigh with her good leg. "Ow!" He shouted and let go of her, his hand dropping from her mouth. "Jerk!" She yelled and hit him in the chest. "God, I'm glad I don't live here..." Henry whispered.