||2||

"Haruka," I approached my underclassman once I'd finished changing into my swimming gear and walked out to the poolside, I was wearing my red and black jacket with 'Nekoma Swim Club' written across my back.

"Yes, captain, what did I do?!" Haruka suddenly blurted out.

"Whoa-- who said you did anything?" Rayla asked with a laugh.

Haruka Keishima. She's a first year in Nekoma. She's quite small but she's fast. Really fast. She swims breast stroke and sometimes the back stroke. But she prefers to only do breast stroke.

"Yes, calm down, shorty," Mako laughed.

"I was going to ask if you'd like to do a medley relay with myself, Mako and Rayla," I told her, the small blonde haired girl stiffened. Why is she so scared? I'm not that scary am I?

"Y-yes! I'd be honoured to!" she shouted before bowing to me.

"Good," I nodded, "you need to practice your exchange between Mako and you. We don't want late starts or anything."

"Yes! Of course, captain!" Haruka shouted again.

"And Haru," I started, "stop shouting you're making a scene and making me look super scary."

"Oh-- uh-- sorry," she looked down sadly.

"Haruka and Mako, go to the far lane and work on those exchanges, everyone else," I turned to the rest of the team, "we're doing timed runs. Get into lanes."

"Yes, captain!" everyone nodded and went to do as I told them while I grabbed a timer and whistle.

Due to Mako being Haruka's temporary coach, I didn't have the extra pair of eyes to watch forms.

"Rayla," I called my backup vice captain, she came over and shot me a thumbs up before I could say anything.

"I've got this," she grinned. I sighed and nodded before walking to the centre.

"Alright, line up," I announced, "first wave. Go!"

I started the stop watch and blew the whistle. The swimmers all dived into the water, well all but one. Our new second year, a transfer from some powerhouse school called Samezuka Academy. We're also a powerhouse school, but apparently we're not as strict.

Anyway, the girl who faltered is called Hana Kusoke. She's a timid girl when you first meet her but once she warms up to the people around her she seems to be quite the talker.

"Hana, are you OK?" I called, she looked up from the diving board and then shook her head before getting off.

"I'm sorry," she bowed apologetically. I hummed to myself before nodding and calling the next line up. I'll talk to her later.

"Go!" I blew the whistle for the next group to go as Rayla wrote down all the timings, slower than Mako usually does but quicker than I probably could've.

"Looks like Sam got a new personal best," Rayla gestured to a blonde haired girl who was part of the first group to swim.

I looked to the number on the piece of paper.

"Seems so," I nodded, "next group! Line up."

I blew my whistle to start their round.

This continued for three more sets before we were finished with the timed runs and then I allowed everyone to work on their individual things while I went to talk to Hana.

"Hana," I smiled at her, "come with me to get a drink?"

"Sure," she nodded to me, grabbing her team jacket and then we walked into the hall and towards the vending machines.