||56||

"Mako?" I walked into the changing room to see her sat with Rayla on the bench in front of one of the lockers, "you good?"

"I'm good," she nodded before patting the bench on the other side of her.

I walked over and sat next to her.

"This is the first time I've raced outside of Japan before," she said, "I'm not like you, y/n. I haven't been to huge competitions that sent me to different countries. This is new to me."

"I know," I nodded, "sometimes I forget that this isn't something the rest of the team know. Sorry. I mean-- I'm sorry if I put too much pressure on you. I really didn't mean to."

"You didn't," Mako sighed, "I think that's the problem."

How is that a problem?

From my experience that kind of pressure only freaks a person out and makes it hard for them.

"I'm not following," I glanced over to her, Rayla just smiled at me from the other side of her.

"You don't ever put any pressure on us," she said, "sometimes we need that kind of thing. Just sometimes. A little goes a long way."

That makes literally no sense.

"Alright. Hit me," Mako looked at me seriously, "with the worst thing you could say ever."

"Uh??" I shot her a confused look, "What's going on right now?"

"Just talk to me like I'm someone from your old team," she grinned, "come on. Hit me."

"Uh... Ok. Um--" I paused for a moment to think before nodding, "do you call what you just did swimming? That was, honestly, quite appauling. I'm disappointed."

The two girls looked at me with raised brows.

"That's it?" Rayla asked.

"Yes..?"

"That was 'quite appauling'," Mako snickered to herself before stopping and smiling at me, "thanks for trying though."

I let out an awkward laugh as I looked away.

I don't think I was actually mentally here for this whole interaction.

"Alright," Mako stood up, eyes filled with determination, "I've got this. I'll win my next race without a doubt. Promise. If I don't, you can kick me off the swim team for being a lying lameass."

"Wait-- isn't that a bit extreme?" I asked.

"Nope," she grinned, "not for Nekoma's swim team."

Huh?

The sound of my phone in my pocket ringing quickly stopped the conversation, I pulled it out to see Tetsuro's number across the screen.

"Excuse me, weirdos," I excused myself and left the changing room. Once I was in a resting area, I answered the call.

"This is number one girlfriend and number one zero team captain, what can I do for you?"

"That was quite the greeting. Hello to you too."

"Hi."

"Hi."

I smiled as I bought a bottle of water from a vending machine and sat down, looking out the window.

"Have you swam yet?"

"Nah. You played?"

"Soon. When do you swim?"