Chapter 62

The last chapter wasn't a real cliffhanger, sorry for leaving you all like that🙈 Happy reading.
Goal 45+ votes

Rewrite the Stars by Peter Hollens and Evynne Hollens

THE striking curtains of the coloured lights displayed in the sky hold me under an indefinite spell. The ethereal pale hue green and orange glow dance along the spectacular dark, starry sky. Aurora borealis, a rare and fascinating phenomenon of nature that always captured me as a kid. The Northern Lights, as we call it.

I stay rooted in my place, unaware of the piercing cold wind until I feel Liam wrap a blanket around me. Involuntarily, I hold it close to my chest. My eyes, not even once, leave the beams of the vibrant colours swaying in the cold sky. In the moment of quiet stillness, a tear slips my eye. Having no clue why, I continue to trace my finger along the lights in plain air.

"This is the most beautiful thing I have seen in my life; the best, the most thoughtful thing someone has done for me," I whisper, finally sparing him a glance. "Wouldn't you agree, isn't it the most beautiful nature can be?" I ask in wonderment.

"No, not since I've laid my eyes on you." His eyes penetrate mine, making it hard to look away. Just the way he looks at me is enough to ease up all my insecurities. In his eyes, I see love and respect and sense of belongingness that I somehow never felt before him.

We weren't rich when I was younger. Yes, we had a roof on our heads and food to fill our stomach but dad had to work his butt off so we could have all of that. Luxuries were hard to come by with the amount he earned; they were barely able to keep me in school. So, when he got a good opportunity in Italy, we moved. It was not until my teens, mum decided to join him. My mom's side of the family was rich but since she was pregnant with me at the age of twenty, they cut off all the ties with her and I don't know any immediate family on my father's side, hence, no source of help. I didn't have much of my mom and dad in my teens. I would be by myself at home all day and then I'd sleep before they came. An old Asian woman, our neighbor, mostly took care of me while I was home alone. Later, when the money grew, I thought I'd see more of them but it was quite opposite. They gave me the best childhood they could and I appreciate it but it always felt short of something. I eventually took comfort in Xavier and imagined he would fill the gaping hole but I was wrong and when I had finally convinced myself that maybe the hole was supposed to stay forever, Liam came along. He showed me love and respect and filled the hole in me with a part of himself.

"Thank you for always showing me beautiful places, thank you for putting up with me, thank you for loving me," I step in front of him on my tiptoes, my fingers taming his hair on his forehead.

"While we are at it, I can think of a few things that I need to thank you for as well. Thank you for being there for me, for helping me through the hard times and for supporting me. Thank you for bringing Elijah back into my life, for putting up with my shitty behaviour, for loving me, for coming to London with me, for always forgiving me for my stupid mistakes, for making me happy, for letting me take care of you, for being mine and mostly thank you for letting me love you and take care of you." He mumbles. When goosebumps rise on my skin, I know it's not the misty air but his touch. It makes me so happy to hear him say all those things. Just like I'm thankful to have him in my life, he is too and that is enough. "I could go on but I don't want you to miss out on this." He gently spins me, his hands wind around my waist and he sets his chin on my shoulder.

The lights are more vivid than before between thousands of stars but what catches my attention is a shooting star. I peer at it until it fades into the sky.

"You didn't wish for anything?" His breath tickles the skin below my ear as he asks. Normally, I would. I believe that shooting stars, eleven eleven on the clock have the power to fulfil one's wish.