Chapter 94

Keep your tissues close. I teared up writing it and I am positive you are going to be emotional too.

Liam's POV

Before it Ends by Liam Payne
Falling by Harry Styles
Still by Niall Horan

THE whole ride to the hotel, one person solely ruled my thoughts— Jane. All plane ride and the drive to the hotel, I kept telling myself that I had the least chances of running into her. She lives in the city which is at least an hour from the event I am attending. And although she works at a restaurant, I am positive she won't be at the event.

The moment I landed in Florence, I felt an invisible string tugging me towards her. I kept reminding myself that what I was doing was for her good. Maybe I was wrong but I wanted her to see how her life was without me and if she wanted to come back. I have lost almost all hope after the articles with Harry. I stopped receiving calls and messages long ago but in my heart, I knew I can't let go of her just yet. I don't know if I ever can.

The memories we shared are the only thing that has assisted me through this. I evocatively remember every moment spent with her; her likes and dislikes, her hobbies and pet peeves. I remember the cringe on her face when people chew loudly and how she disapproves of taking her photos claiming she doesn't have a model face; if by chance she likes her picture, she will stare at it until she doesn't anymore. The way she pokes the tongue out at me whenever she gets her way and how she watches and rewatches Friends, reads and rereads her favourite books. The look on her face when she has to share her favourite food, although she would never tell no to anyone. When I am in our shower, I still imagine her drawing doodles on the steam kissed mirror like she always did in our shower. Sometimes she would write 'L' and 'J' and drew a small heart in between and other times, they were just plain designs.

"Why are you smiling?" Evelyn asks, positioning her manicured hand on mine. I yank my hand away and her palm falls on my knee.

"I am not." I refuse her question, wiping the smile that had certainly painted across my colourless face. She doesn't argue. I open the mini-fridge under the armrest and rummage through the expensive wines, pulling out a beer can. Popping it open, I tip my head back and take a big gulp of the cold liquid.

When we reach the hotel, Francesco receives us at the entrance with a bouquet of lilies. He shakes my hand and then Evelyn's before giving her the bouquet. "Hello, Mr. Payne, hope your flight wasn't too tiring," Francesco greets, guiding us into the elevator.

Evelyn makes an attempt to hold my hand but I slyly dodge her. "Since you big investment in our chain restaurants, we have grown impeccably. We have a couple nuova restaurants in Florence and Milano." Francesco continues to brief us about his chain of restaurants across Italy and about the increase in dividend in the last nine months. "Vorremmo ringraziarti per i tuoi fondi."

"È stato il nostro piacere," I smile, following him into the roof of the hotel. The terrace is brimming with the businessmen and local diplomats waiting for us. After a quick round around the terrace, Francesco insists we eat.

He throws instructions in Italian to a few waiters before they retreat. They return with various dishes in tow. Because of Jane, I have developed a habit to eat vegetarian food. So, instead of steak, I get myself a piece of hashbrown.

One bite and I am convinced they taste familiar. I look around, hoping to spot Jane but it is a fruitless attempt. Why would she be here? It's just my broken heart making these speculations, I am sure. But just to be sure, I ask Francesco to call the chef that prepared the hashbrowns. "Is something wrong?" He asks, dubiously. I shake my head and insist on calling the chef. He acknowledges my request and asks a waiter to pass the word.