Chapter 14

Jane's POV

I wake up to the fresh smell of chocolate pancakes. Blinking my eyes, I try to adjust to the light darting through the window. My pulsing head doesn't seem to have improved much after the extensively required sleep.

I recall last night in bits and pieces. Besides Liam coming to look for me at the beach and comforting me, I can't recall much.

I don't remember coming to this place, sleeping in the bed or changing my clothes. Wait, changing my clothes? I was out like a light and there is no possible way I could have changed my clothes. Did Liam? Oh, my God.

Slowly, I sit up and bring the duvet with me, grabbing my phone from the nightstand and check the time. It is past ten. Shoot, I am late for work. I have to be in the bookstore by eleven-thirty.

I rise from the bed and walk into the bathroom. Doing my business, I rinse my arms and wash the stale makeup off of my face, I brush my teeth with a spare toothbrush and already feel better.

Mustering my best normal face, I exit the restroom. The smell of the pancakes easily guides me to the kitchen. My stomach grumbles smelling all the tasty treats set on the kitchen island. Yesterday's breakfast was the last meal I had so it is justified.

Liam stands in front of the stove, bare-chested, tossing some vegetables in a pan. His muscles flex every time he moves. They are the perfect amount of sturdy, not boxer like. Before he can catch me staring at him, I avert my eyes.

I take a deep breath and clear my throat to announce my presence. Liam looks at me over his shoulder and sends me a charming smile. I return it the best I can.

"Have a seat. I made you pancakes and pasta for breakfast," Liam instructs, gesturing towards the seats at the island. I perch on the seat.

Liam pulls two plates from the cabinet and places them on the counter. He turns the stove off and places a pile of pancakes on each of the plates and pasta in two bowls. On contrary to his arms, he doesn't have a single tattoo on his back or his chest.

"I'll be back in a minute," Liam says jogging out. A minute later he reappears in the kitchen with a t-shirt on and takes the seat opposite me. "Orange juice?" He asks as he pushes the plate towards me.

I shake my head, picking up the silverware to take a bite of pancake. They are the best pancakes I have had. Not only they are delicately soft but also sweet and sour the right amount.

We eat breakfast in silence until Liam decides to break it. "How are you feeling, Jane?" He inquires, watching me carefully. I choke on the pancake at the question. Liam quickly pours me a glass of water and urges me to drink it. "Are you okay?" He concerns.

"Yeah, yeah, just my head feels a little fuzzy," I whisper, settling back in my seat. "I'm feeling normal," I reply to the original question. Although it is a lie, maybe saying it a hundred times would actually make it true. He studies my face before nodding. After that, we don't speak for the remainder of the breakfast.

After I empty my plate, I take it to the sink to wash it but Liam takes it from my hands and gives both our plates a quick rinse and places them in the dishwasher.

Thanking him, I leave the kitchen and make my way to the room I was sleeping in. Since it is past eleven, I decide I will just call Matteo and tell him I will join them in the noon.

As I near the bed, I suddenly feel dizzy. I grab the corner of the bed to steady myself and perch on the mattress.

Liam enters the room minutes later with a glass of water in one hand and some tablet in the other. "Here, take this, you'll feel better." He gives me the pill and water. I take it. "You should get some more sleep, Jane. So when you wake up you'll feel better," he suggests.