The Boroughs

"Twenty one?" America cleared with the woman in front of him, who brought him a cup of lemon water, a couple ice cubes keeping it cool. Alaska nodded.

         "Twenty one," she confirmed, "They came in order of what was decided, which didn't take long, I just kept them as the usual Boroughs. It worked when I was a State, why wouldn't it now?" 

     The United Boroughs of Alaska, or UBA, were twenty one in total. America was elated when he found out his little girl now had kids, and her house, originally a one bedroom cabin, transformed into what seemed like a military base, much to everyone's surprise. When those closest ran to Alaska's aid, thinking something was wrong (like a Country's military uniform, their house can morph into what is needed at any point in time), they were surprised to hear laughing, even more so to find that the new found Boroughs loved the change the house took to accommodate them. Alaska speculated it was because of the summer months, and that the house would most likely change once winter hit.

         "So where are the little ones now?" America smiled widely.

         "They're playing on the training course out back," she chuckled, "I will warn you, Anchorage is a bit of a hell-raiser, most everyone else is pretty mellow. But don't make Fairbanks angry, she's one to voice her opinion, and she's usually right, also very good at research. The twins, East and West Aleutians can't be separated in any way, be it picking one up or pinching the others cheek. Do that and they'll for sure think you hate either of them."

         "Why's that?" he questioned, a brow raised. Sure twins thought the other should get the same attention but to that extreme?

         "World War Two," she said, and America paled. They were just now created and they remember things like that? "Neither want to be neglected," another stab at America's guilt, though unintentional, "They don't want to feel unimportant, or to far out of reach again."

The patriot cringed, but the conversation was abruptly ended by the sound of the back door slamming open.

         "Mama, Anchorage kicked Yaku off the monkey bars!"

         "Yaku?" America chuckled, and Alaska sighed.

         "That's Yakutat," she explained, "she's a bit slow, which is why Anchorage picks on her. I'm coming!"

The two followed the little Borough out, finding two unmarked Boroughs trying to keep who America guessed to be Anchorage from running to the door, most likely trying to pummel the Borough who just tattled. His flag held a blue anchor, with a yellow background, and yellow ships on a circular white backdrop.

         "Anchorage," she scolded, and the two others let go, "This is the third time today."

         "She was going to slow," the boy mumbled, wearing a leather jacket, ripped jeans and smelled of cigarette smoke, though he hadn't even touched one.

         "We let her take her time," she shook her head, "You now she has the least population out of all of you, that makes her slower, not as lively, but proficient. She has never fallen unless you throw her off. Go to your room until I tell you otherwise."

The Borough stormed off, the others quiet as they helped their sister.

         "Poor dear," Alaska sighed, "His population is past it's capacity, and has the most dangerous city on my land..."

         "Why not expand the city's boundaries?" America asked.

         "Because it's surrounded by mountains," one of the boys explained, "If the city grew anymore there'd have to be a major haul through or onto the entire Alaska Range."