Desperate

America sighed. 

49 unsent Christmas cards. One unsent Christmas gift.

49 unsent New Years invitations. One unsent New Years gift.

49 unsent Birthday cards. One unsent Birthday gift.

The lack of interest from his States angered him. Not even little Hawaii, who had looked up to her older sister, seemed to care, her cards having spilled juice all over them, yet she still intended to give them to Alaska. America read all of them, each having the same exact message as if they were mass produced a million times. 

An impersonal Happy Birthday, Happy New Years and Merry Christmas. Nothing more, nothing less. And he was no better.

     Three gifts sat in his closet. An Eskimo teddy bear, blue fuzzy slippers, and a brand new military grade hunting knife. He put a lot of thought in his gifts for her, and knew they were perfect... but he forgot. Even with a constant leering pain like a blade tip pressing at the back of his head, he forgot. He would wake up every morning thinking his 50 had turned to 49. The irony in that itself was painful. 

        "I've never lost anyone," the half crazed man muttered to himself, "in all my years, I've been the most successful, in war, economics. Name it, I've been number one!"

He looked up at his closed door, Alaska's flag draped over it, mirroring his own flag that brightened the hallway. But hers was crumpled, needing ironed. Neglected.

         "I've survived World War 1, my own Civil War, World War 2... I've fought against my own father and won!"

America removed his sunglasses, the tears having made them impossible to see through.

         "Yet here I am, losing to my own State."

He needed to win her back.

~.~

         "Thank you, U.N." Alaska gave the shorter man a sweet smile, though her inner thoughts were far from sweet currently.

         "You're welcome, Alaska," he nodded, "The second meeting will be held tomorrow. Forgive me for the delay, I fail to understand how I didn't make a date already."

         "You forgot," Alaska shrugged, "Everyone does it."

That was true in every sense.

         "Perhaps, but it doesn't make it right."

No, it doesn't.

         "Would you like to stay for dinner?" he then asked, "I'm having other guests over, and they've mentioned wanting to meet you."

     Alaska kindly declined, claiming that she had a few other business matters to attend to. Indeed, she wasn't lying, but it wasn't exactly a priority either. She had received a letter, for the first time in ages, from America, saying that she was invited to a party. She wasn't sure if she wanted to attend, but if she was invited, he must be doing better. It didn't start for another two hours, but she wanted to be presentable, and a shower can take up much of ones time. U.N. allowed her to leave via his own ring, and she stepped into the cold snow, the sky already dark while most other States were still quite bright out. It was only 3 P.M. 

     Looking at her letter, Alaska noted the time again, making sure she was going to be there at least a little early to help with set up. It started at 5:00. Trudging up to her front door, the State was glad the wind had died down enough to stop the snow from piling up on her walls. She still had to clear some snow to get in through her door, but that was no big deal. It was a simple task compared to her other winter chores like splitting fire wood, shoveling snow or hunting. She enjoyed them all though, never being bored, and always having something to do if she wasn't handling the politics of her land. Of course, it didn't take up all of her time. She'd be able to read, spend time with her people, sew and other hobbies she accumulated through the years.

     Finished with her shower, Alaska checked the time. 

3:30

She was moving faster than she thought. Finding what she needed, the woman then picked up her phone, and called a now very dear friend.

         "Yes I'm going... but I need some help."

~.~

     America had spoken to Canada several times that day... all day in fact.

         "How do I make her like me again?"

         "America, it's not like she doesn't like you anymore-"

         "I just don't want to lose her forever..." 

Canada sighed, but gave his big brother an amused smile.

         "Try making her feel valued. Like she belongs. You'll have her on your side for sure."

This is what the entire day long conversation boils down to. The rest was drilling the younger Country with questions about how he should plan, as well as Canada convincing him it didn't have to be Eskimo themed to make the State happy. The two settled for a formal party, Countries only, Alaska being the exception. U.K. was quite proud of his son as he came in, his usual tuxedo a constant. The mansion had been cleaned up, and the largest room dusted. The chandelier was aglow with tiny lights that made the crystal glitter. America remembered when he actually used this room for more than just storage.

         "What's the occasion?" his father inspected his monacle, "you failed to mention it in the invitation."

         "To make Alaska feel at home here," he smiled, "Canada suggested it. It's all for her."

U.K. smiled softly at his son, proud that he was willing to let his daughter go so willingly. He had certainly learned from his father's mistakes.

     It was nearing 4:50, and the State was nervous as she stepped onto the concrete drive. There were already so many Countries here, and getting ready took longer than expected... did she get the time wrong? Was she late? Oh what an impression that would be. The blue and gold State took a deep breath after looking at her invitation again, assuming that was her ticket in... it did say formal. She exhaled...

Nope, still nervous.

         "You'll be fine," the Chinese citizen told the woman, "Here's China's ring," the circular object was pressed firmly into Alaska's grasp.

         "Thank you," Alaska bowed, and the woman did the same before fading back to her country, not belonging in this world.

Taking one last deep breath, Alaska made the few steps to enter the mansion she knew so well.