Imaginary Friends

"Alaska!" A native Aleut, most commonly called an Eskimo by outsiders, called for his Territory, the little girl looking over as she picked up her bright red scarf to run and meet him half way, "Someone has docked in Homer, a ship like no other."

Curious, the embodiment of the U.S. Territory agreed to find out who this stranger was. If they proved hostile, she wouldn't hesitate to attack. She made sure her Lynx was with her, the only thing that seemed to calm her down in these summer months with it's plush fur and motherly instincts always trying to keep her from trouble.

     When she arrived, thanking her step father for the quick journey before he left, Alaska sighed. This wasn't an everyday occurence, so she had to keep herself calm. With a small enterage, she stumbled over netting, only to be finally picked up by a sailer, who made her giggle as he placed her on his shoulder. She hoped this new arrival didn't mind her being taller then them, be it artificial height or not. Her sharper teeth could be intimidating! She was just glad of her bright red scarf that hid it from America.

         "Nien! Leg es dort hin!"

         "What an odd language..." Alaska giggled, "I like it!" 

The group laughed, earning the stranger's attention as he whipped around, and gave a broad smile as he saw the Territory, though in truth he was disappointed. He was hoping for a challenge.

     For a minute Alaska stared, as did everyone else. She tapped the man's shoulder to be put down. The little Territory stepped over a rope, looking up at the massive ship, metal and rivets looming over her, then to the obvious Country who had docked on her shores, his smile faltering at her silence, hiding his sharp teeth from her. The girl beckoned him to kneel down, her Lynx growling, but she paid no mind as she held the scarf up around her mouth. When he hesitantly kneeled, she used one hand to poke his lips out of the way, and she smiled, revealing her own sharp, menacing teeth.

         "You're like me."

~.~

         "So you met before zhe var," Germany nodded, "Before he revealed his true colors."

The State nodded, calm by now. It helped that America had run off somewhere unknown, thankfully so. 

         "We became friends. He'd visit often(!)." She took another sip of her ice cold water, having been in the freezer for a time before being handed to her, "He knew what it was I was going through each summer, the unbridled anger that would fester, heightened emotions, mostly negative, a constant misery. So he helped me find ways to cope."

         "Ah-nd how vas dhat?" Russia questioned, truly curious, but also deathly afraid of the possibilities.

     Alaska looked to Canada, who nodded, stepping into another room before coming back out of what could be seen as his library. Germany and Russia carried over a coffee table at the red and white Country's order, and he spread out a large map of the world.

         "This is one of many plans to take over your lands." Alaska whispered, shameful of what she so willingly configured in order to feel better, and mentally stable to a point, "I've made more than you can count, it's how I won against Japanese Empire when he took over my islands."

Japan stepped closer, finding her defenses easily crushed by this State. Her fingers trailed to find red lines all across Alaska's borders. Further security. She scanned the map, finding Canada with barely enough strength to fend off the marked attacks, the barrage of bombs, the lack of life for his military. America was no better. First his capital, then his farms. Cut off all water ways and poison the rivers. It was insane but it could work. Australia was basically sunk, China wouldn't know what hit him and Russia? He seemed to suffer worst of all.

         "This is one of twelve she's made so far this summer," Canada explained, "usually one of her people will visit to throw away and burn what she's made. I decided to bring her here since anyone could walk in her house."

         "Said the one who keeps his door unlocked," Alaska huffed, only to cough as smoke came from her mouth in plumes.

         "Okay, you have me on that one," he sighed.

         "And you're okay with this?" Japan looked to the friendly Country, "You have seen your every defense and offense torn down. By what this map shows, it would only take matter of days, not months, not years, days, to take your land and leave you powerless."

         "She was still a territory," Canada defended her, "easily swayed, easily programmed. Third manipulated her into this for his own gain, and she saw that!"

         "Still, it is troublesome," Germany shook his head, still staring at his borders. Did he really have so many faults?

All was silent as everyone thought, but it didn't last long as Alaska threw her glass to floor, standing up to loom over Germany.

         "I had my chance to betray my Country," she sneered, "I could have gone vith Dhird! He understood, still does! He vas like a Fadher to me for longer than America or  USSR. Vhat do I have to do? To vhat lengths do I have to go to prove I am nodhing like him?!" Tears evaporated from her cheeks, "I do not vish to kill. I do not vish to betray you all."

Canada gently brought her back down to sit on the couch, and the woman cried into his shirt as she lost her enthusiasm for this seemingly hopeless goal of becoming a Country.

         "Perhaps... America is right."

         "Say that again and I vill steal your land from America." Russia threatened, earning a startled stare from his older sister, "You quit now, the abuse vill continue. No matter vhat he says, that idiot vill not change!" He pulled her up to stand, bending down to pick up the plans so carefully made, only to trudge over to the elaborate fire place, striking flint to create flame, big enough to burn, but small enough to keep the house cool. He looked to find that Alaska had followed him, so he gave her the map, then pointed to the fire, "Burn your own plans. Dhen vwe vill see if you are like those two злодеи**."

     Everyone watched in anticipation as the State hesitated. She held the map gingerly, as if it was going to shatter any second. Creating something like this was hard work... she couldn't just throw it away like this... but it meant nothing but trouble. Wasted time and tools aside, she couldn't lose her friends over something she didn't even want to go through with. Taking a deep breath, Alaska opened it, taking one last look at her creation before tearing it in half, then quarters, and through it into the fire, watching it burn as the light shone in her smiling eyes, toothed grin showing triumph.

         "I am no villain."

--------------------

*Nien! Leg es dort hin - No! Put it over there! (German)

(!) - The only major contact was with Japan during WW2, there is no indication or history of any German troops, before or during the war, coming into Alaska.

**злодеи - villains (Russian)