49th State Rebellion

She had grown. America remembered an enjoyable little girl with a two sizes too big parka and mukluks. Now, the parka fit her perfectly, complimenting her curves, yet somehow still looked ridiculously warm. She greeted her step father with a hesitant smile.

         "What are you..."

         "Did you not recieve my letter?" She questioned, and America paled.

By this time, everyone was already there, and about to question Alaska about her actions, though clearly something was wrong if she had grown up, unlike her older siblings, and younger sister Hawaii. 

         "Please take a seat, America," U.N. suggested, since it looked like he was about to faint anyway. He did, and United Nations continued, "Alaska, if you could, state your business and reasoning as to why you want to leave America's safety as a State, and become a Country."

Normally America would have laughed at the unknown pun, but he was to focused on the child... no, woman now, who stood without fidgiting, not an amount of self doubt in what she was about to say.

         "Sir, I request to become a Country due to neglect, abandonement and misuse of my natural resources."

The room gasped, and everyone looked to America, whose jaw dropped.

         "Objection!" He shot up, fists connecting with the wooden desk-like structure.

         "Let her continue," U.N. ordered, before looking back to the fair Eskimo before him.

Alaska frowned, an amalgamation of anger, worry and sadness swimming in her expression.

         "As many know I was abused by my father, Russian Empire, or USSR, and adopted by America, so I know well my complaints, for they are similar to before," A few countries looked to Russia, who slid underneath his little area of desk, only his Ushanka seen above, "My resources were misused, and almost completely wiped out, as they are now, of course these are different resources, oil, to be exact. I say abandonement due to never seeing my adoptive father nearly as much as my siblings, and being ignored, no matter my calls. A prime example being my Declaration of Independance, sent twelve days ago, and either not being recieved at all, ignored, or just recieved today."

America cringed. Now he remembered what State he had read it as. How did he not recognize the handwriting? The Big Dipper and the North Star at the bottom right beneath her signature? He didn't recognize it because he never paid attention to his second youngest... not like he should have for the longest time.

         "I say neglect due to having a room farthest from anyone, even little Hawaii, God be with her, is closer to America's than mine, therefore I was forgotten, my room having been mistaken for a broom closet once," she rolled her eyes at that memory, "Shipments of goods cost more, prices rise higher with every passing year, while other States see prices reasonable for what their goods are. And while this is not my last complaint, I will end here: I have one valid vote, in the presidential election, most others of America's house having two, but in truth, I have no sway in these matters, because my say is not counted at all. I don't exist in his politcal world."

     Accusations were made at America, who fired back with his own defences, meanwhile U.N. was trying to keep the peace, failing to do so. Canada looked to the State, Alaska not making a single sound as she closed her eyes tightly, wincing at the tumult she knew would come because of this, but she was tired of being forgotten. Most of her siblings didn't even know she was a State for the longest time, most thinking she was already a Country, never having met her. Some forgot from time to time. Even Hawaii. 

         "Alaska, why?" She heard America wimper, after the roaring crowd had died down.

         "I believe she said vhy," Russia huffed.

         "You're one to talk, I saved her from your father!"

         "America, please," the room brought it's attention to the grown State, "Blame can be assigned to someone else later, but right now the blame is on me, in that perhaps I never reached out enough, or loud enough. I stayed a good girl as long as I could, and I appreciate what you did for me," she sighed, messing with the cuff of her parka, "But you changed after 1902..."

         "And why is this date significant?" Saudi Arabia questioned.

        "It's the year oil was first found on my land," she told him, and the room was once again staring at America.

         "Baby girl, come on," America chuckled nervously, feeling his head become light, and his stomach churned, "Isn't this a bit of an exageration?"

         "I wish it was," she looked to him with tears in her eyes, voice wavering, "but I cannot stay with you as your State, when you didn't even notice my growing up."

     More questions were asked, by every Country, aside from America, who stayed glued to his seat, losing consciousness as he slowly lost his 49th state. How could he let this happen? She's his strongest, of everyone! She provided so much, in resources, military power, heck personality, he remembered her lighting up an entire room with that smile! That smile, the same smile that she wore as U.N. passed her the paper work that may help to finalize her becoming a Country. He hadn't lost her yet... not yet, but it hurt as Alaska placed those papers in a folder, a leather satchel sitting on the ground that he failed to notice before.

     The room began to file out. America the first to leave as he dashed for the nearest bathroom, emptying the contents of his stomach into the closest trash can instead. He tried to get up, but only had the strength to be on one knee, head hanging over the bile filled metal cylinder. A soft hand rested on his back while those who didn't care or were happy about his current position filed on. Only a few others lingering. He looked up, shades sliding down his face to reveal the full color of Alaska, tears streaming down her pretty blue features. Of all everyone, he didn't expect her to be comforting him. 

         "I'm sorry..."