There's no Place Like Home

America groaned, waking up in his bed. When did he get here? Eyes going wide he threw the blanket off, and shot into his attached bathroom, nearly slipping on the tile as he looked in the mirror... all 50 states. He sat down on the toilet seat, holding his head as he tried to think. 

A dream?

No, nightmare.

Alaska.

He fled from the confines of the master bedroom, dashing past the line of doors that were each and every State's room. He past Hawaii's, and froze. That should be the last door, but no. One more held the flag of his 49th State. She was older than Hawaii, yet her room was here? It baffled him. Why hadn't he noticed? America lightly tapped on the door, but heard nothing. He tried the handle: unlocked.

     With a large gulp of building saliva, the terrified Country entered, seeing the room exactly how he left it the last time he saw her. Battle plans littered the floor, all outdated, being of World War 2. Poor Alaska had been scrambling to force the Japanese off her islands, Attu and Kiska of the Aleutian Islands, and America was there to help. He sent reinforcements, and she did the rest... Alaska was a brilliant tactician. The shade was down, so he lifted it, the darkness outside doing nothing to help him see. Alaska would have been able to see the sunrise through her window. Careful not to step on the scattered papers, America found the lightswitch, and flipped it... nothing happened. The bulb was to old to work anymore. 

     He left to find a new one, making a soft 'ah-ha!' when he found the item, making a hasty return as he used Alaska's old bed as a step stool. The light flooded the room, and his smile of success turned into a deep frown. Dust covered everything, untouched for years... How could he let this happen?

         "Papa?" 

America jumped, looking over to his 42nd State: Washington. Pajamas having said President's face all over them.

         "Who's room is this? Are we getting a new sibling?"

This broke America's heart, but he forced the tears to stay out of sight of the State that held his capital. He smiled, though it was forced.

         "No," he was glad his glasses hid his watering eyes, "This... this is your sibling Alaska's room... don't you remember?"

The child coughed, the dust filling his nostrils and coating his throat as he breathed.

         "No," he coughed out, shaking his tiny head.

America looked to the floor, finding doodles of him and the other states. Alaska had drawn herself seperate from them. That's right, she was still a territory when World War 2 came along. Oh, what a fool he was.

         "Father?" 

He looked up, seeing Hawaii, her pajamas having flip flops and coconuts littered across them. She yawned widely.

         "Why are you in the broom closet?"

He felt his head begin to throb again... Alaska was signing the papers. He already knew. 

         "You two need to go back to sleep," he winced, getting up as he ushered them back to their rooms, "It's probably only three in the morning..."

         "Four," Washington, corrected.

         "Two," Hawaii yawned again.

America rolled his eyes as the two looked at each other funny before giggling, knowing their time differences is what caused their separate answers.

     Hawaii went to bed without a fuss, while Washington wanted a glass of water first, then slipped back into his bedroom. America closed his door after a short 'goodnight', and thought a moment. He said it was three in the morning because that's Alaska's time... so why was she up at this hour signing papers? And where? Deciding that he wanted to know, America took out the ring from his pocket, still in his clothes from yesterday, tossing it to the ground as he thought of the young girl he unknowingly neglected. He stepped through, finding a harsh wind hitting his bare arms and not to warm jeans now covered in waist deep snow. Where has she lived for so long?

     The smell of smoke met him as he turned to find a log cabin, a karasene lamp lighting the porch, as well as the Alaska flag that hung over the door. America trudged over to the window, shivering as he peered in, finding the soft glow of a fire lighting up the living room. He saw Alaska at a desk in the corner, a single candle, nearly burnt out illuminating her tears as she signed the last piece of paper, and set it aside. America kept himself upright as best he could as he felt the punch. One more step to losing the largest State of the U.S. And it was his fault... 

He needed to get her back.

     A harsh wind blew him over, and he forced himself up and through the worm hole his ring created before Alaska could open the door. She assumed it might have been a bird, or maybe a fox, but the winds had already swept the tracks away, as well as blown the karasene lamp out. She usually kept it lit for lost campers or hikers, but it was far to late for anyone to be hiking currently, so she brought it inside, setting it on the table that held her unfinished dinner, having been cold long before now. She winced at the thought of eating... and she loved Moose meat stew... 

         "What do you want?" she asked herself, "Not to be neglected anymore... or a family that forgets you, even after you've been through so much."

The other States had never seen true battle or had forgotten, being protected by America during the Civil War and past. America kept good care of the Contiguous United States. Only recently had he really paid any attention to Hawaii, her beautiful shores being a hot spot for tourists and vacations, and the devastating attack on Pearl Harbor. Alaska? The Frozen Desert? Far from being Hawaii, in any way shape or form. Yet she had seen far more death than Hawaii. Her people were prisoners of war, what America had provided for her people was measly and many suffered at the hands of their own country in his care. Two beloved islands were almost lost to the Japanese, and those who lived in Attu were resettled in Atka... they couldn't even go home because America wouldn't listen, saying the Attu vilages were to far to defend. 

     As much as Alaska loved her Country, as thankful as she is that he freed her from USSR's abuse... She knew that to be who she wanted to be, she had to become a country. She had lived as one for far to long already without the credit. Now, she will finally be recognized as the strong person she is... not the simple face on the sidelines...

         "I'm sorry... adax*," she set herself back behind the desk, "But for my own sanity... I must leave you."

--------------------

*Adax - Aleut for Father (an Alaskan Native language)

Just a little fun fact: throughout WWII Alaska was the only expanse of US ground to truly see battle. Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, was merely a precursor to what the Alaskans had to face on their own ground against the Japanese.