Value

"Japan has always been... an interesting character," China admitted, rolling up the sleeves of his knit sweater as Alaska served an interesting dish, what she called Moose Meat Mince Meat. A simple pie crust filled with a sweet smelling combination of meat, raisons and whatever made it as good as China failed to believe as he took another bite.

         "She has a certain charm to her," Alaska chuckled, sitting down just across from him at the table, a simple square made of wood slats and old tire rims for the base, the chairs being cut stumps that had been polished and sealed so that the wood didn't decay.

China nodded, swallowing his fifth bite before speaking again.

         "If you do become a Country I will agree to your terms of trade," he continued the earlier conversation, "But I may require at least one Alaskan desert a month."

The two chuckled at this, the simple jest almost not a joke as China let his usual strict eating regime be forgotten for this measly hour or so. 

         "Your lifestyle reminds me of mine, a long time ago," he told her, "Simple, very little to worry about. We're far from that now." 

His voice held an amount of regret in it, but it quickly vanished as he changed the subject to whom the State had met so far. She had started these meetings on December 10th. In 24 days she had spoken to 120 countries in order to establish a friendship, partnership, or at least find who her enemies would be. No one had heard of her visit with Russia, luckily, and she didn't plan on giving out that information until she became a Country, and no one seemed to brush that topic for... obvious dysfunctional reasons.

         "You're my last meeting today," Alaska informed as she lifted herself up from the stool, "My schedule has never been busier!" 

Her laugh was witty, and it filled the air with its inviting tone.

         "I'm afraid that's often how it is as a Country," China told her, not to scare her off, just as a friendly warning, "Unless you're Russia, Canada or America," he rolled his eyes, not noticing the hesitance as Alaska reached for the hot chocolate mix in the high cupboards. Not even China could reach as high as she.

         "Yet they have managed to stay afloat for so many years," she chuckled, the witty sound gone, "It's hard to understand sometimes."

         "Indeed," China nodded, thanking her for the hot chocolate.

     Wind rattled the windows outside, making the Country jump as a loose stick hit the window. At least he thought it was a stick, until Alaska hurried to the door, opening it to reveal a wounded bird that had hit the window. It's black feathers were ruffled, wing bent at an odd angle. The creature gasped for air as it blinked, stunned by the impact.

         "I swear your kind are as dumb as a box of rocks," Alaska muttered as she pulled out a ready made box from a large wardrobe, fancifully carved into, and placed the bird inside, "I'm awfully sorry," she told the Country, who was now standing as he watched the caring State.

         "It's quite alright," China assured, "We've discussed most business already. That is quite a large Crow..." he commented, and the woman chuckled, her original mirth back.

         "It's not a Crow," she replied, "It's a Raven. Crows are farther south, near Anchorage. I live to far up."

China nodded, not knowing what else to say, so he said nothing. before making a short 'of course,' when Alaska asked him to get something for the bird to eat. He asked what exactly, and she said anything will do, as long as it was food, a short laugh following afterword. China decided that this bird was a scavenger. He didn't exactly want to share the mince meat pie with something that wouldn't appreciate the time and perfection put into it, so he looked around the short counter, finding a muffin, only to find that it was an unfrosted cupcake, a blue and gold candle sticking up, almost completely burnt out.

         "There might be some venison in the fri-" she stood up, finding the Country holding what was going to be her little celebratory snack, and frowned.

         "Today... is your birthday?" He looked to the taller woman, who simply nodded, a melancholic smile on her face.

         "January third. My statehood."

         "No one has called?" he questioned, "Texted, sent a letter, invited you over, visited?"

All these earned a shaking of Alaska's head, yet she still smiled.

         "How long have you had this candle?" China then asked.

         "Since January third, 1959." She answered, taking the unfrosted cupcake from his loose grip before he dropped it. "I've made it last 60 years. My entire statehood.* USSR, when he was Russian Empire, never celebrated my birthday, so I don't know when my original birthday was. But I'm hoping to have a third. A new birthday."

She placed it delicately back on the counter before tearing a piece off, and striding over to the stunned Raven, who gladly took it, eating it with a great vigor. She fixed his wing with a tourniquet made of thin cloth and sticks, doing some mental math as she guessed how long it would take for its wing to heal.

     While she pet the Raven, China wondered how someone could be so cruel... This State didn't deserve the neglect she was receiving. She had so much potential, yet no one recognized it because... because what? Everyone had value, yet no one saw hers... because while others gave money, pleasure or threats to get what they wanted, she gave what she knew was fair. China doubted anyone could bribe her. A few extra imports? She'll pay for those how she agreed to, not in dirty handed dealings. He doubted anyone could threaten her successfully. Missiles? She has an entire Air Force base dedicated to deflecting such attacks. This was a State not easily rattled into submission, and she was tired of playing the 'help', the 'fallback', the gold mine easily extracted from. She had been preyed upon by selfish Countries for so long... now it was her turn to be selfish, and get the credit she deserves. 

         "How would you like to come with me to my land?" China questioned, "You can have whatever you like as my birthday gift to you."

Alaska took a moment to register his words. Slowly looking up to the man in her comfy log cabin. The Raven nibbled at her crumb covered fingers.

         "But... I am not part of your-"

         "You are grown," he helped her up off the floor, looking up at the dark blue woman before him, "That practically makes you an independent Country already."

     And so the strict Country, always focused on tradition and form, let his own beliefs slide to make the lonely State of Alaska smile. To make her feel noticed, to make her feel... valued.

--------------------

* According to the date 2019