Chapter 21

My head rose and fell with Ridge's chest as he slept. I on the other hand, couldn't fall asleep for nothing and it was really starting to bug me. I've tried every position I can but it was my mind that kept me awake with thoughts of 'am I doing the right thing?' and 'I don't want to hurt him'. Who is "him"? That's what I've been asking myself for the last two hours. Is it John Ross? Is this even going to hurt him or does he truly not care? Or could it be Ridge? But why would I be hurting Ridge in the first place?

I shook my head, carefully prying myself from Ridge's arms without waking him. I rolled to the edge of the bed and sat with my head in my hands for a minute or two. From the darkness of the room I saw my ancient phone light up with an incoming call. I looked at the clock and saw it read 2:00, then reached for my phone. Who would call this late?

'John Ross' flashed on my screen and I felt my heart jump into my throat. Why would he call me and why now? I quickly got up and slid into the hallway making my way into the shared bathroom. I hit the green phone button and held the phone up to my ear. "Hello?" I asked timidly.

I heard a sigh of relieve, "Thank God. I was worried you weren't going to answer, Sweetheart." I felt my heart double in speed and my mouth felt dry, so I couldn't speak. "Look, I know you're mad at me but could you come outside please? For the first of September it's pretty cold and I'd like to keep all my fingers." He teased.

I stuttered for a second. "Where are you?" I asked, looking at myself in the mirror. If I was going outside to meet him, I needed to do something with my hair and put on some regular clothes.

He chuckled, "Outside Denton's dorm building." I opened and closed my mouth trying to figure out how he found out I was here. "Just come outside and I'll tell you everything, alright?"

I nodded slowly before realizing he couldn't see me, "Yeah, I'll be out in five."

I hung up and immediately made my way to Ridge's room to grab some clothes and my hairbrush. I peaked my head in to see him lying flat on his back, dead to the world. So I snuck in, grabbed the pair of skinny jeans from last night, a pullover sweatshirt, and the hairbrush, then snuck back to the bathroom.

I quickly changed, brushed out my hair, and headed for the door, where I slipped on my boots. Then I looked at the door and realized I was going to get locked out if I didn't have a key card. I scanned the main room and spotted a card on the dining table. I bit my lip, unsure if I should steal someone else's card but then decided I'd be back before anyone woke up. I snatched it and made my way back to the door, quietly as possible sliding out into the hallway. I walked down to the stairwell and headed downstairs to the main lobby. It was completely quiet, not a single person was down here and in a big building like this, it felt eerie to be walking in the dead of night.

I jumped sky high when I heard a tapping on glass. I looked to the front doors and sighed when I saw John Ross beckoning to me. I walked over and pushed open the door, walking out into the cold with him. I wrapped my arms around myself, as soon as the biting wind surrounded me. "You've been outside all this time, are you crazy?" I asked, my teeth chattering. I miss Texas already.

He smirked, "Well as a New Yorker, I'm used to the cold. But come on, let's get you out of this cold before you get hypothermia." He started walking and I made my way after him, putting up my hood to block some of the wind. I jogged to catch up with him, noticing we were heading towards the athletic complex of the college.

"Whe..ere are w..ee going?" I asked him, my teeth chattering making it slightly difficult to speak clearly. We were walking along the sidewalk to the football stadium that I would assume would be locked.

"Where do you think?" He asked sarcastically. I shoved him with my shoulder but then tried to conspicuously get closer to him to feel his warmth. He threw his arm over my shoulder pulling me into his side, taking my conspicuousness as a hint. "My parents being big alumni of this school, coach gave me a key to Wien Stadium so I can practice by myself. I can tend to be a loner sometimes." He explained, not looking at me. He was just observing the dark campus, the street lamps shining on his face.