Chapter 13

I knew he would be mad but I couldn't stay there, I could handle the house, barely but not that place filled with fake people. There was a driver standing outside an Escalade smoking a cigarette and I approached him quickly before someone spotted me. "Excuse me sir?" I cringed at my accent for the first time in my life. It sounded like nails on a chalk board compared to the New York accents I've been listening to all night.

The chauffeur froze and the cigarette dropped from his lips. I heard him mumble "shit", "I apologize Ms. Kitt, I know the Smithson's have a strict smoking policy."

I waved my hand, "I could care less. Without tobacco, southern states would have been nothing. But I was just gonna ask if you could take me back to the house. I'm getting a little... homesick."

"Of course, Mr and Mrs Smithson have always enjoyed living lavishly but never the boys. All four of them have made efforts to escape themselves. Hop in."

He opened the backseat door but I went around him and to the front seat. "I never believe someone is below me, we're equals with different lifestyles."

He looked at me with admiration, "Thing is, if all people felt that way, I would be out of a good paying job."

I chuckled, "As long as they pay you well. Otherwise I'd have to have a talk with Smithson Senior and the third."

He looked puzzled, "You're that close with Jerald Smithson and John Ross?"

I smiled slightly, "Jerald's like a father to me. I just found out he was rich though. So I guess I never really KNEW him but I can tell you how he actually is as a person behind closed doors. As for John Ross, I've only known him for a week but him and I have a relationship like no other. I get mad at him easily, I get confused on how him and I can be friends, but I wouldn't trade a single day I've had with him."

I blushed when I finished, the driver's attention kept switching from me to the road. "I've honestly never heard anyone talk nicely about either Smithson. Maybe a woman saying how attractive John Ross is but never his personality."

I shrugged, "He wasn't able to treat me poorly because his grandfather would have killed him. Jerald's been very good to me and I've been respectful and helpful to him so we share a mutual understanding that we'll always be there for each other. He lives like the middle class do in Texas, he could have a 2000 acre farm and a 4000 sq ft mansion in Texas and it would only cost him maybe $10 million and I'm sure this property is worth at least double that." I had just realized we were back already.

The driver shrugged, "I believe he never wanted the money or fame, he only ever wanted enough to live off of. But his wife is who wanted to live lavishly coming from a wealthy family. He met her after his company took off and fell in love with her and she him. But he didn't want to change her life style so he conformed to what she knew to be acceptable."

That explained a lot. "I better get inside. I'm probably gonna get yelled at by someone so I at least want to be relaxed when they do so." I told him, opening my door.

He smiled, "Well thank you Ms. Kitt for the pleasant conversation, I do hope you'll come back to New York and visit."

I just nodded and almost shut my door. "I never got your name." I stated, feeling rude for never asking.

"Peter Walters."

I stuck out my hand, "Nice to meet you Pete Walters."

~

I was back in my temporary room sitting in bed watching "Friends With Benefits". It was from a huge collection that Lou, the head of staff, showed me. Probably not the best movie choice, considering my extreme attraction to John Ross but it's a favorite of mine.