Chapter 10

I looked at him strangely, while Cindy squealed being the typical girl she is. "Why would you take us to New York City?" I was really suspicious because I knew that his father and Jerald wanted him to stay here. So if he's trying to run back home, I'm not getting in trouble with him. Not like I have much to lose because unlike him I don't have a will to be written out of but still, it's awkward when Jerald is mad at me.

He was about to speak, that stupid smirk on his face but Cindy cut him off. "I'm sure you know hot guys! Attractive people seem to gravitate towards each other. Oh this is going to be great!"

I laughed, losing my seriousness for a moment. "Yeah that's why we're best friends Cindy, we're both hot!" I winked and bumped my hip against hers. Then I glanced back at John Ross who was absent-mindedly stroking Willow, watching us amused.

He smiled, "One of my friends just got engaged and they're having a party. I figured I needed to go to that so why not bring my Ana bug. But she allowed me to meet you and now I'm thinking she'll have more fun if you come along too."

I looked at him skeptically, "What about Jerald? He'll have a heart attack if we leave again. Plus I'm the horse caretaker, I handle everything horse related."

He sighed, "He has Justin to care for them and run any of his stupid errands. Plus my father's secretary emailed me and my family has a business party we all have to attend, uncles and cousins included." He hesitated before going on. "Which they would like us to have dates."

Then it clicked, "One of your cousins and you need dates and you're volunteering us."

He just grinned and shrugged. Cindy had her thinking face on. "Is he as hot as you?" She asked after a moment.

I dropped my head in shame for my friend. "Yes, Cindy Lou. My family has strong genetics so we all look quite alike." He laughed, grabbing Willow's lead rope and walking her passed us. He lead her towards a round pen and unhooked her lead rope. He really does pay attention to what I do.

"Is he lunging my horse?" She asked awed. I just nodded, scrutinizing his every move and paying attention to make sure I didn't need to save his rear end from a bucking horse. He tied her reins to the saddle horn, nudged her around and chirped to her. For three minutes, we were all silent except for the thudding of Willow's hooves and John Ross's occasional chirp. Then he start to slow her down to a stop and grabbed her reins.

Cindy walked up to him, she said something but I was too focused on him to listen to what she said. But John Ross handed over the horse and walked over to me. "You know, I'm really starting to enjoy this whole horse thing. I might have to see if I can get a barn built on my property."

I rolled my eyes, "You have your own property? Did your daddy buy it for you?"

"Actually," he retorted with the same amount of attitude. "I inherited it from my grandparents but I haven't built a house just yet because I want my future wife to help pick a style house."

I smiled apologetically, "Sorry, it was wrong of me to assume."

He threw his arm over my shoulder, "It's alright Sweetheart, there's a lot you don't know about me. But I plan on filling you in before you meet my family and friends, don't worry."

~

I shook out my hands nervously, silently praying to god I placed well today. Trigger snorted underneath me, signaling Cindy and Willow's presence. "Calm down Ana, you always do well. Heck you place first just about every race."

I sighed, trying to think of reason for my nerves but grimaced when I heard the voice of the devil. "Well howdy! Since when did they let losers and homeless orphans in rodeos?"