Chapter 7

"Welcome to Tuscola, John Ross." I said, reading the little road side sign. My nerves were transferring to Trigger, her ears and tail flicking nervously. I patted her neck comfortingly but didn't ask her to move. Now that we were here, I wasn't sure where to start.

Apparently John Ross did, as he motioned for Reese to walk. "Come on, let's go ask around if anyone knew your parents. It's the only place we could really start." he told me, giving me a reassuring smile. I sighed internally, it was a relief someone else got to be the strong one for once and follow their lead. I smiled back at him, noticing after only a day and a half of riding in this heat how tan he had become. He wore light colored jeans, a thin white button down shirt that was open quite a bit, and his usual black sneakers but he never looked sexier sitting on top of a horse, as relaxed as he's ever been here.

"You coming or you gonna sit there checking me out until you can't see me anymore?" he teased, winking at me. I rolled my eyes, but secretly loving his teasing. I gave Trigger a swift kick and she bolted towards Reese and John Ross, kicking up her feet and side stepping. I directed her around the pair but she was still acting hot and side stepping around him.

"What in hell are you doing, darlin? Trying to wrangle up that handsome boyfriend of yours?" A women with long dark brown hair that was graying around the edges, asked me from her front porch.

John Ross steered the horse her way. "Good afternoon ma'm." He greeted, a friendly smile coming across his face. I got Trigger under control and brought her next to him. He continued, "We're trying to inquire some information about a couple that lived here about eighteen years ago."

She stood up from the wicker chair she was in and leaned against a post at the top of the steps of her porch. "Well, I've been here for fifty years since I moved here as a girl, so I might have known them. Depends on who you're asking about."

I hopped off and tied Trigger to Reese's saddle. "Whitney and Stephen Kitt." I said, walking to the bottom of her steps. "They lived in a one story white house with yellow shutters and a small front porch. It should be near a church with red doors and a wheelchair ramp along the side."

She thought for a minute, "I know the church, it's the only church in our town. But I think the house you're thinking of might have blue shutters now." A smile grew on my face, this was good progress. "The church's minister lives there now and has been since the last family moved out."

I felt John Ross come up along side me and rest his hand on my hip. "Do you think people in the surrounding homes would remember them?" He asked.

I saw a small smile come and go on the woman's lips. "There's some families that have been here longer than me that remember everyone who have come and gone. So I'd imagine you'll have good luck asking people who live around the church."

"Thank you so much," I trailed off realizing I didn't know the woman's name.

"Connie, my name is Connie." She smiled.

"I'm Anastasia and this is John Ross. We can't thank you enough for your help."

"Well I wish you luck, honey. I hope you find what you're looking for."

~

"We never asked her where the church was, did we?" I sighed, wanting to smack my forehead. We had gotten into the center of town and was surprised to see cars and a few people riding horses, tying them while they went into shops and into a diner. I looked at the diner, my stomach growling, "What time is it?" I asked.

John Ross looked down at his expensive watch, "About 11:30."

"Wanna go get something to eat, see if we can get any information and directions to church?"