Chapter 11

I glared at John Ross. "You are not paying for me to ride first class. I'll pay for myself and ride in a regular seat."

"Don't be ridiculous, Cindy is letting me buy her ticket and I'm not letting you sit alone." He scolded, leaning against the counter. The attendant was too busy staring at John Ross that she didn't care that we were holding up the line. "Sweetheart, please. Money doesn't matter to me like it does to you. Save your money and let me buy the ticket."

I sighed, dropping my tense shoulders. He smirked, cupping my face and kissed my forehead. He slid his credit card across the desk, "Three first class tickets for the 5 o'clock to JFK airport in New York."

It took her a moment to snap out of it but quickly took his card and typed on her computer and slid the card back along with three tickets.

He looked down at me, "Aww, come on sweetheart! Don't pout. I'll let you pay for one of your dinners this weekend. How does that sound?"

I refused to talk to him and took my ticket, heading toward Cindy who happened to be flirting with the guy sitting next to her on a bench. I smirked when I heard her flirty giggle and swatted the guy on the shoulder lightly. "I take it she's a professional at that?"

I ignored him, "Cindy, come on honey. We need to go through baggage."

I saw she got what I was doing immediately. "Coming mom. Sorry Mike, my mom, dad, and I are taking a trip to New York for a family reunion."

He had a dumbfounded look when he spotted who Cindy was talking about. "Those two are your parents? They're like 20!" He stated, looking at us all like we're crazy.

I some how kept a straight face and it seemed John Ross did as well. But Cindy couldn't help but grin. "Actually they're 35 and they adopted me when I was 10."

"Cindy that's enough, you don't need to tell a stranger your life story. We really need to get going." John Ross said sternly. I turned around, fighting the laugh that was begging to come out. I quickly grabbed my bag, faintly hearing Cindy saying goodbye to a still confused Mike.

"Alrighty girls. You ready to head out?" John Ross asked, putting his arms over both of us.

I continued to ignore him, while Cindy excitedly said yes.

~

"Really? You still refuse to talk to me!" John Ross huffed. "It's been two hours!"

I was currently stuck next to John Ross, who had the attention of all the stewardess on the damn plane. But of course, Cindy was sitting next to Reba. FREAKING REBA! Tell me how that's fair?

I turned to John Ross, "John Ross, do you understand how important my independence is to me? It's all I have, because even when my father was alive I still took care of myself. And taking care of me like this, is taking away everything I know."

"You know what, it's about time you had change in you life. To let someone take care of you and not worry about getting by in life. Have you ever imagined what it would feel like to barrel race for the fun of it? Not because you need the money to survive?" he shot at me, "You're so miserable most of the time, feeling sorry for yourself. But you know what? For once make some friends and distract yourself. Let the death of your parents become part of who you are, not dictate what you do with yourself. You haven't had someone to help you through it the right way, so from this moment on I'm vowing to be that person who teaches you that everything will be okay. That loving people and getting attached to someone, won't end in pain. I'll make sure you grow to rely on me while still being the independent person you are."

"That's a contradiction. How can I rely on you and be independent?" I cut him off. I honestly didn't want to listen to this. My father and the rodeo was all I had all my life and nothing could change that. My father made me the way I am and I would never go against him.