Chapter 16

It had been two days since I had heard from Cindy Lou and I was really worried about her. Ever since she had moved here, she'd call or talk to me at least once a day. So I've been on high alert since our last phone call.

But somehow John Ross convinced me to push thoughts of her to the side today and focus on how we were gonna approach Connie in Tuscola. We had completely gone through the box and had only come up with a few pictures and a couple of letters my mother had wrote to herself about married life, being pregnant and how excited she was.

"You ready sweetheart? Cause I'm not letting you skip out. I can see how curious you are to learn about your parents and see if you do still have living relatives." John Ross said, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "I'll always be there when you need me most. And this is one of those times."

I stood up from my hay bale seat, nervously wiping hay off my pants. "Fine, let's go then. But afterward were stopping to see Cindy Lou." I told him trying to stalk by him.

He grabbed my wrist and hugged me. "So that's what has you all in a tizzy." He stated. "You're worried about Cindy and it's eating you alive that you're standing by and not doing anything. Well, I tried calling Josh but he wouldn't answer my call. I just think they didn't end on good terms and this will all blow over once Cindy finds something to distract herself."

I shook my head in disagreement before he even finished speaking. "You don't know Cindy like I do. Nothing bothers her. No matter what, she has always kept her head held high and kept her dignity." I pulled away from him, heading towards the car. "Something serious happened and I want to know what it is."

He quickly caught up to me and put his arm over my shoulder. "One person's problem at a time, Sweetheart. We handle you first, this is what you've been waiting for for a very long time. Answers."

I glared at him, shrugging his arm off. "I already said we could go. So let's get this over with."

I opened the car door and slid in, adjusting my shorts that had ridden up. I ignored John Ross when he got in and continued to the whole ride there.

When we pulled up to Connie's house she was sitting in her wicker chair, reading a book. When she spotted the car, she shut her book and stood, leaning against a column.

I got out of the car slowly and a saw a small smile form on her lips. "Hi Connie, sorry for coming unexpectedly." I greeted, from the bottom of her porch steps.

My heart was racing so quickly, I'm surprised John Ross next to me couldn't hear it. I'd always wanted a mother figure of sorts, but now that I might actually have a grandmother I was extremely nervous about letting someone else into my life. Though Connie seems to be in pretty good health and fairly young for a grandma, I can't push aside the fear that I might lose her too.

Connie turned towards the house, gesturing for us to follow. "Come on in, honeys. I have a feeling we're gonna be a while." I hesitated before John Ross took my arm gently, leading us into her house. As we walked in the door a staircase to the second floor was directly in front of us. I looked from side to side, a living room off to the left and the dining room to the right leading to the kitchen. "In the kitchen! You guys want anything?" Connie called out.

"No thank you, I'm alright." I told her, taking a seat in a chair at her kitchen table.

"I'll take something to drink. It doesn't matter what it is." John Ross responded politely, giving her a dazzling smile.

I noticed she never batted an eyelash at him, unfazed by John Ross's charm. "I had a feeling you'd be back to see me. Did you find anything interesting?" She asked, getting John Ross a glass of iced tea.