Chapter 5

"Can you slow down?" John Ross complained. I knew he was having issues with bouncing in the saddle when Reese trotted. It was a regular beginner's issue. We had only been riding for thirty minutes and he's complained constantly about trotting. I tried showing him but he's just gonna have to ride through it. It's the only way to learn how to ride or do anything really. Practice.

"No John Ross. We are traveling fifty miles, it's pitch black out, and we need to get there in, at the most, three days. It should be a days worth of riding but I'm not gonna have these two walk the whole time. And if I don't get to do everything I want there, we're going back until I find what I'm looking for." I explained again, calculating that we'd only gone two miles. I glanced back at him and wanted to laugh. He was just about bouncing out of the saddle and Reese looked like he was smiling too. I slowed Trigger down, "John Ross, remember what I told you. Lean back into the saddle, push back with your feet, heels down, and then move with the horse, feel his rhythm. You're basically thrusting slightly in the saddle."

He snickered, "I've been out of that saddle for a little while but I'm sure I still got it." He winked at me.

I snorted, "In your dreams City Boy."

"It is in my dreams." I heard him mutter. I ignored it and slowed down against my better judgement, letting him catch up to me. He and I rode side by side at a fast walk, the vast night sky stretching out above us. It was cooler out than I thought it would be and I could feel a gentle wind stir up my hair. "It really is beautiful out here, isn't it?" he asked, looking over at me.

I glanced at him from the corner of my eye, then looked up. The stars shone bright with the absence of lights and the moon lit up the road we were walking along. "This is why I love it here. I love the Texas heat and the calm demeanor of country life. It isn't busy and loud like the city, well unless you go to a party. Then you have country music, drunk teens, and lots of trucks." I laughed, relaxing and letting myself enjoy his company.

"So parties down south are like they are described in country songs? Tailgates down, ice cold beer, and everyone just having a good time?" he questioned, a genuine smile playing at his lips.

"They are." I nodded, "I've been to a few, when I was in my prime. But I need to take care of myself and be responsible. Plus Jerald would kill me if he ever caught me drinking."

He looked like he wanted to ask me something but he never did. We continued walking on silently, Reese as close to Trigger as he could making John Ross' and my feet brush every so often. We passed a gas station that I knew was about five miles from the ranch. I also knew there was a 24 hour diner about a half mile up the road so I figured we'd stop there for a while and get something to eat.

Fifteen minutes later I directed John Ross towards the diner and got off in front of the hitching post and trough that were out front. He copied me and held onto his reins unsure of what to do. I tied Trigger to the post and walked under her to him and tied his horse too. "Come on, this place has great breakfast food. I love their chocolate shakes here too." I told him, taking his hand and leading him into the diner.

"Ana? Is that you?" a guy about twenty, with chocolate brown hair and green eyes that I had seen a million times before asked. "What the heck are you doing out this early in the morning?" Adam Brown asked. He paused for a moment, John Ross catching his eye.

The memory of Adam grabbing my butt entered my head and I casually leaned into John Ross, taking his hand again and smiled at Adam. "Just going on a little horseback riding trip with my boyfriend here." John Ross caught on instantly and gently wrapped his arm around my waist and held me to him firmly. I could feel my heart rate pick up but I didn't let it show that I was flustered.