11

My eyelids felt swollen and pained as I lifted them slowly. The sun was bright against the clean white walls, only hurting them further despite its beauty. "Ow.." My hand presses against my lower back as I groaned softly. The floor had been too harsh on my poor back.

I drag my eyes to my alarm clock, "1:00" I sigh in relief, "She's gone." Memories of last night made my chest hurt. How could the person who saved me treat me like trash?

With a pained groan, my body finally lifts up off the floor and makes its way to the bathroom.

My tear stained cheeks and swollen pink eyes made a soft gasp leave my lips. It's been a minute since I've seen myself like this.

I was hoping to never see it again.

My fingers shook as I grabbed my towel and began washing my face, scrubbing away all the dirt I could. Despite all that happened, it felt good to clean myself up. It felt like a restart button.

"Focus, Jocelyn." I look myself in the mirror, "You have one hour to get ready for this interview." I hold up a finger as I lean in closer, "You are going to do your very best today and keep your chin up. No more tears. We have to do better." I scold myself lightly and feel a smile lift on my lips. "Go get dressed and don't be late." A small giggle left my lips as I feel my positive energy start to seep back in.

"I got this."
________________

My hands slowly rubbed down the knitted black material of my dress. It was form fitting but it's dark color revealed nothing and still held a professional look. My heels were black with good tips that matched my hoops and even the scarf that held back my curls that defied gravity in a giant poof over my head.

"It's a bad bitch party you cannot get in! Imma t-" My alarm interrupted my  singing, reminding me of the interview to come. I quickly scoop up my purse and coat before rushing out the house, not forgetting my keys and to lock the door.

My eyes land on Dion's Apartment and I hesitantly stop, "No.. yes?.. no.." I mumble as I eye his door. I kick it gently three times and listen for movement.

1...2...3..4...5...6...7...8...9...10

Nothing.

"He's probably at work.. like I should be." I shake my head before rushing to the elevator, my tissue ready to press the nasty button. I slowly count down from twenty seven as I wait for the familiar beep.

"Hi." I jump as a mans voice comes from behind me. I turn around and smile politely, "Hello." His deep blue eyes held mine as he smiled down at me. He had to be 5'10 at least from the way I still had to look up. "You look nice.. My name's John." He holds out his hand and I stare at his for a moment before looking up at him with wide eyes, "I-I'm Jocelyn.." I mumble softly and he hums before tucking his hand away in his pockets. "You live here?" He steps closer and I slowly inch away, "No.. Just visiting." I look back towards the cursed slow elevator and inwardly groan.

"You have a boyfriend?" He steps closer again. I slowly look him up and down. He wasn't ugly. Deep brown hair, stubble, blue eyes, tall, lean but you could see a bit of muscle through his black shirt.

"Yeah.. He lives there." I point to Dion's room and the guys eyes widen, "You're Dion's girl?! I knew he was talking to somebody but damn... Nice to meet ya!" He smiles wildly and I half return it.

"Yeah.. I'm who he's.. talking to.." My heart sunk lower and lower as I imagined him with another girl. He hadn't said anything to me but yet again, who am I to be in his business? After all, I'm just his neighbor.

I'm just his neighbor.

The elevator opened with a soft ding, letting me step on. I look to John who stood in the hall, "I wasn't getting on.. I was just going to talk to you.." He chuckles and I nod my head, "Okay.. Bye.." I wave and smile lightly before hitting the level 1 button and letting the doors close.