Chapter 29 Come Back

Tony's Pov:

"Morning." I heard Sam whisper...Is he talking to me?

"Morning." I heard Stephen say from behind me.

"You think he slept well?" Sam asked.

"I know he did," Stephen said and I heard Sam chuckle quietly.

"Good he needs it," Sam said as I started drifting off again as he started massaging the back of my neck. I must have fallen asleep again because I was back in the room...I don't use any powers in here...It's when I mess with the lines. I looked at the new little-engraved plates at the end of the lines...Pretty. I looked at Bruce's which looked fine and then my eyes locked onto the gold...I walked over and looked at the knot where I had tied it. It was not as strong or glowing as brightly as the others. Steve had still had his mark the day we did that mission just like I had mine but we had talked about it...

Flashback

"Hey, Tony...Can I talk to you?" Steve asked.

"Sure thing Spangles," I said and he snorted. I followed him away from the others and he frowned...What?

"About our marks dulling," Steve said.

"It's fine, Cap," I said.

"Is it?" He asked and I frowned. "You can talk to me that's what I'm here for...We may not have bonded or anything but I'm still your friend. I'm your friend first, Tony." Steve said.

"I'm not good enough for you...Of course, it's going to get dim." I said trying to make it sound like a joke.

"Tony, don't talk like that. You're great even though you can be a sarcastic asshole sometimes." Steve said.

"Say's the stuck-up old man," I said.

"Touche," Steve said making me chuckle.

"Seriously though...I do care about you, ok?" Steve asked and I nodded.

"Guy's we got to go," Clint yelled.

"Be careful, Don't know what I'd do without my Tincan sidekick," Steve said and I smiled.

"You too...Be careful or I can't make old man jokes." I said and Steve rolled his eyes but I saw the smile.

End Flashback

"We used to be such good friends...Now what?" I asked and then noticed Steve's string flickering rapidly...What? Should I check on him? Would Sam and them notice? Steve's line went black for a second...Ok nope going to check on him. I followed it and I was now in Steve's bedroom...Oh, nightmare...I don't think I can fix that.

"Steve?" I asked touching him and he jolted awake scaring the shit out of me. He blinked and looked around before looking at me.

"Tony?" He asked.

"Hey, you alright?" I asked.

"Shouldn't you be resting?" Steve asked as I sat next to him.

"I am...kind of," I said and Steve laughed.

"You really never know how much you are going to miss someone till you don't see them for almost a year," Steve said and I frowned.

"I'm sorry, I should have known it wasn't you," I said.

"Hey don't say that...I'm just glad you're ok shell head," Steve said and I smiled as he took my hand.

"I...yeah," I said and Steve frowned.

"They all said that he hit you...and talked down to you," Steve said.

"It's fine," I said squeezing his hand.