Born Immortal Chapter 27

Start from the beginning

Tyr was now circling the clearing, weighing the threat from each animal and trying to choose which one he was going to go for. He was walking with a slow, sideways step around the edge so that he could keep both of them in sight at all times and he kept his weight low to the ground with his arms spread out to the side. The buck was snorting and grunting in a way that clearly showed how mad he was and the boar was racing back and forth across the small space giving constant squeals of panic.

Tyr moved in his fluid way to a spot that was behind the buck and jumped. He had been aiming for the neck of the large beast but the deer moved before he landed, leaving Tyr standing in a spot in the middle of the circle that made him a clear target for either animal to attack in their frenzy.

The boar took the opportunity to rush at him but Tyr wasn't interested in anything but the buck. Tyr twisted to the side as gracefully as a ballet dancer and the razorback went past him with no contact. When Tyr had stopped spinning, he quickly oriented himself facing the buck. He didn't waste a second in pressing an attack, running so fast towards the animal that it didn't have time to react and grabbing it around the neck as he swept to the side. This jerked the deer's head to the side but Tyr was already behind it and out of range of the deadly spikes of the antlers.

Tyr was wrestling the buck down to the ground but the flailing hooves and antlers were making it very difficult. He finally got the animal down on his side, taking a couple of hits despite dancing around the animal's frantic fight for release; and he reached his arms all the way around the neck and squeezed. The boar was staying clear of the noise as the buck snorted and grunted in desperation but the large deer finally succumbed to Tyr's strength and lay still.

"You would choose the one with the neck!" Thor called out in good-natured mocking. "Thanks for leaving the difficult one for me."

"Well, it is Yule, Thor." Tyr answered with a laugh. "I thought you'd like a little present."

Everyone was laughing at the friendly exchange but nobody moved from the circle as Thor entered to take on the large angry pig. Tyr stayed with the buck but didn't move to help; Thor was more than capable of handling one angry boar by himself.

Thor had a much harder time cornering the two-hundred pounds of solid muscles on hooves now that the animal had seen what was coming but he seemed to be enjoying it more because of it. There was a loud crash as Thor threw himself at the beast without any of the style that Tyr had used with the buck.

Drops of blood started to fly through the air as Thor rolled and grappled trying to get the animal down for good, but it wasn't clear if the blood was coming from him or his adversary. Everyone was cheering and shouting, someone called out, "I bet you wish you had that old hammer, now!" But Astyr couldn't tell who in all the noise.

After several long minutes, the grunting stopped as Thor got the animal down on its back and thrust his arm into the belly of the struggling animal. He pushed in harder and there was a sickening, wet, cracking noise before he pulled his hand out with the heart of the wild boar held tightly in his fist.

He jumped up and raised both arms in the air like a prize fighter after a knock-out while everyone laughed at the spectacle and cheered for his success.

Astyr paid no attention to any of that as she ran over to her father who was standing beside the dead deer. She threw her arms around his waist and held him like she was afraid he would disappear.

Tyr gave a small chuckle and laid his cheek down on the top of her head. "You weren't worried, were you, dear?" he asked in amusement.

She pulled back and looked up at him. "I was, and I'm not embarrassed to say so.  I haven't had enough time with you, yet; I don't want to lose you now."