Chapter 5

"You have changed" Gray's voice echoed in my ears. My heart started beating so fast I feel like my ribs were going to break. I faced him nervously, that smile still on his face.

I took a deep breath and forced myself to focus. "So have you." I answered.

He chuckled. I gulped.

"This is me Gabriella" he uttered straightening his seat. "Right from the start this has been me, a lawyer, a businessman, successful, respected.

I cocked my brows at him. "Are you saying then that I'm not?"

"That's not what I meant either." He answered. "Well, if you did ask everyone in high school, no one would have expected you to become this." He said referring to my entirety.

"This?"

"A model, a successful businesswoman, powerful, influential---beautiful."

My face flushed and I immediately looked back. "Are you implying that I wasn't beautiful in high school?" I tried uttering.

He chuckled once again "You have always been beautiful Gabriella, and unlike your bestfriend I didn't fail to notice that" he casually said.

How?

How on earth could he speak about the past as if it was a beautiful memory we should be reminiscing and laughing at over wine?

I refused to answer him. I refuse to play his game. I just have to not mind him for the rest of the night.

The band started playing a soft song. The lights dimmed a bit more and an orange light lingered at the dance floor.

Several people stood and headed to the centre to dance.

"Can I have this dance?" Gray said as he offered his hand

"That isn't a very good idea." I whispered.

"You can't really refuse." He said pointing around us. He was right. I wanted to refuse but in the presence of all the eyes of high society, refusing wasn't really a choice.

I took his hand and we headed to the center.

I was sweating really hard, it was really difficult to maintain the graciousness that I normally have.

He guided my hand towards his neck and he locked his behind me.

We were so close. Too close for me.

"Do you realize that this is our first dance?" he suddenly said. "I never thought you would be this graceful."

Something inside me started burning, my vision started going blurry and I feel like I was going to throw up. I can't keep this up any longer.

"I remember how clumsy you were at Fort Tilden..."

"Drop it!" I half whispered, vile dripping in my tone so he would get my warning.

We stopped moving but we remained in our position.

"What?" he asked

"Drop this act Gray. Let's stop pretending that everything is fine. Let's stop acting like this is what we should normally be doing right now. This isn't right and you know that! Stop it! Tell me. What are you doing?"

"I'm dancing with you!" he sarcastically answered.

"Why are you alive?" I snapped so it would be done with once and for all.

I felt him tense. The music ended but another song followed immediately.

"We shouldn't really be having this conversation here." He said.

"Why are you with Anthony Grayson? Why haven't you contacted me?" I bombarded him with the questions I was dying to ask since I had seen him. "Why did you make me believe that I lost you for 8 years? Dammit Gray, why are you alive?" I feel myself tearing up but I held it in. I can't cry, not in the presence of everyone, most especially not in front of him.

"He took me in." he decided to answer. "I was dead but he made me live. He saw the potential in me and he refused to waste it. Now look at me! This is who I was supposed to be since the beginning."

"He knows you double crossed him!" I refused to give up. "How did he trust you?"

He looked away for a second before looking at me again.

"I gave him the papers Gabriella. We burned the papers down. I protected his company from you. That was why he trusted me."

"Protect his company from me?" I gasped unbelievingly. "You were the one who told me that the Grayson Communications belonged to me!"

"Not anymore."

I glared at him. "Why are you doing this?"

"I am living the life I wanted. I want this. He showed me the right way to accomplish everything. I have everything in the world!"

"Have you forgotten that he killed your father?"

"We never proved that he really did. And even if he did, people should just learn how to forgive. It's the only way to move on and move forward." he said and but he couldn't even look me in the eyes.

"How can you just easily forgive someone who murdered your father just because he gave you money?"

He took a deep breath and tightened his hold on me

"Weren't you the one who said that you didn't want the company as long as you protect the people you love? Now you are free from assassinations including everyone around you. This is what you want!"

"But you—"

"Me?" he cut me off. "I have never been so contented with my life!"

I stared at him.

"You're living in the vicinity of a murderer, what does that make you of a lawyer."

"I am a lawyer because of him."

I heaved a deep breath. "Fine Gray. I'll stop. I'm not running after his company anymore. I don't even care anymore. Let's start where we are at now. Stop this now and come back to us!"

"I have a mansion at Beverly Hills. I can get every car I want at a snap of my finger. I have people who respect me and follow my every command. I have the most perfect fiancé in the world! Tell me, Gabriella, why should I stop?"

Fiance?

He's getting married?