Chapter 15

September 13th, 1797

    Things were going steady. John Adams was president now, Alexander still had his job, Eliza was doing ok, and the kids were getting good grades. Angela was walking down the street and was surprised to see so many Anti-Jefferson posters. People gave her weird looks and she was starting to wonder if her purple dress was a bad choice today. She walked into the market square, looking for apples. A treat for Philip when she visited him today.

    "Can I have two apples, please?" Angela asked, excited to see the kids and hear Philip's poems. The man running the stand looked at her like she had just eaten moldy bread "You date that backstabbin' republican, don't ya?" The southern accent was clear and Angela looked at him in disbelief "Excuse me, sir, but my lover isn't some traitor. He didn't do anything!" The man just laughed and gave her the apples, putting out his hand to take the money. "Don't be ridiculous. Your man has favored the French for a long time and now they're attacking us and wanting a bribe! Who could support them?" Angela reluctantly paid the man and rushed out of the marketplace to avoid all the rude comments being thrown at her.

    She reached the Hamilton Residence and waited on the steps just like she did every day. Once Philip came home, she ignored Angela, walking into the house like his aunt was never there. Angela followed suit, confused about why her nephew seemed so irritated. "Philip, what's wrong?" Angela asked, grabbing Philip's shoulder and turning him around.

    Philip rolled his eyes and tried to turn away but Angela wasn't taking any attitude and grabbed him again. "Answer me, Pip," Angela demanded, waiting for a response. She couldn't stand to see her nephew so upset. Philip sighed "Some of my friends were making mean jokes about you. They said it was because you were married to Uncle Thomas." Angela giggled before giving one of the apples to Philip who happily grabbed it and bit into it. "Don't worry about what other kids think of me, Pip! It's ok. On another note, do you have any poems to show me?" Angela asked, sitting down on the couch.

    The week went on. Philip complaining about his judgmental friends, Angela getting called out for dating the democratic-republican leader and it put more and more stress on her back. But Angela refused to give up. She refused to let something like schoolyard taunts get under her skin. Thomas was having it rough. Whenever the two went on a date or stayed in each other's houses, Angela would always find Thomas rubbing his forehead in stress.

    Angela decided to put a stop to all the nonsense. She got out some paper and a quill before dipping it in ink. She was going to put an end to the foolery that made her boyfriend stressed. Angela felt bad for Thomas. He's now the vice president of the man he hates with a burning passion, he's getting criticized for favoring the French and Angela has had enough of her lover coming to her for a makeshift therapy session.

    Never once did I think that I'd have to respond to immature taunts. I'm done. My love has gone through so much to get us the Bill Of Rights, our individual rights that no one can take away. It's madness how Thomas Jefferson, the man of the people, is being criticized for favoring France over England. Yes, France has attacked our ships and demanded a tribute that we are not willing to give. But don't you understand what England has put us through? We had to go through war because they weren't to give up peacefully!  I know that our situation is complicated especially with Washington's neutrality, but it's ridiculous that you people will switch sides once one thing goes wrong! Y'all are the equivalent of sunshine patriots that Thomas Paine mentioned. If you are on a certain side then fight for the side you're on. Don't leave as soon as things go to rubbish. For shame to you all.

Angela ended up writing a full page talking about the sunshine patriots. She didn't belong to a certain political party since her family was one and her boyfriend was the other, but it made her angry that people could switch up so quickly based on the outcome of the battle so far. She had to deal with it too much in the military. Politics was no different. Angela made sure to drop it off at the post office before going back home to see Philip.

It was a beautiful afternoon in 1799. The criticism directed towards Thomas and Angela has stopped and Angela was wrapping up the blanket she had sewn for Eliza Holly, Eliza's newborn daughter. There was a knock at the door so she stopped what she was doing to answer. She opened to see a man holding a letter. She took it, thanking him in the process before going back into the house to read it. Angela thought it was for Thomas, which it was, but she opened it in curiosity on why it was so fancy.

Thomas Jefferson,

I am sad to say that George Washington has passed away from a serious throat infection and that he appreciated you as the Secretary Of State. George has told me on numerous occasions that he wanted to meet your lover but he unfortunately never got the chance to. I'm getting older with age and  I won't be around for long either. Make America a force to be reckoned with.

Sincerely,

Martha Washington

Angela saw the tears soak into the paper. George Washington, the man who considered her as his own child, the man who took her in and helped her rise as a soldier, the man that she looked up to, was dead. Dead. She didn't even get to say goodbye. Angela thought as she wiped her tears away and slowly set the letter on the dining table. The man she admired was gone.

Angela went back upstairs to pack Eliza Jr. 's present. After wrapping it in purple fabric to signify that it was from her, Angela got in their carriage and rode to the Hamilton residence, seeking comfort from Philip's comical relief. Philip had just turned seventeen a few months ago and she had to see as much as she could of him before he thought she wasn't worth his time.