Chapter 13

January 22nd, 1791

    Today was Philip's birthday. Angela finally got her own house in Manhattan, close to the Hamilton residence. She was currently helping Philip recite his first poem while Eliza got Alexander. The family planned to go on a summer trip with Angelica to the Schuyler Mansion. "Your son is nine years old today. He's been practicing all day. Philip, take it away." Eliza announced before standing next to Angela. The sisters made this makeshift beat to signal for Philip to start. "My name is Philip. I am a poet. I wrote this poem just to show it...and I just turned nine. You can write rhymes but you can't write mine." Philip recites, shaking his head cutely for the last line.

    "What?!" Alexander cheered, bouncing to the beat. "I learn french with my aunt and English with my mother. I have a sister but I want a little brother. My daddy's trying to start America's band. Un, Deux, Trois, quatre, cinq!" Alexander clapped "Bravo!" Eliza smiled before grabbing Alexander's hands. "Take a break!" Angela started, excited for the trip. "Run away with us for the summer, let's go upstate." The sisters looked at each other "We can all go stay with our father!"

    "I'll try to get away." Alexander reasoned before going back to his office. Angela gave Eliza a doubtful look but Eliza smiled "When he says he'll try, he'll try." Eliza reassured before going into the kitchen to make supper. Angela, of course, didn't believe that Alexander would free up his schedule even if it was for family, but she kept quiet to spare Eliza's feelings.

    Hours later, a carriage pulled up to the front of the house. Angela looked outside to see it was Angelica's carriage. "ANGELICA'S HOME!" She exclaimed as Eliza ran up the stairs to Alexander's office. Angela opened the door and helped Angelics with her stuff. The lovebirds came back downstairs and the three sisters hugged. "Angelica...." Angela smiled "Angela...." Eliza chimed in "and Liza..." Angelica finished "The Schuyler Sisters..." Alexander finished.

    Angela looked up in confusion "Wait... we forgot Peggy-" Angela was cut off by Angelica squeezing Alexander half to death. "Alexander, it's good to see your face." The three sisters spent a good ten minutes trying to convince Alexander to take time off and spend time with his family but he wouldn't budge.

    Alexander soon refused for the last time and started heading back upstairs. Angela saw tears emerging from Eliza's eyes and glared at the retreating man. "Some brother-in-law you are," Angela grumbled, making sure Alexander heard her before grabbing Eliza and pulling her into a hug. It was silent in the main lounge after that. "We'll still go." Angela finally said "Who needs Alexander? If he can't make time for us then there's no point waiting around for him." Angelica smiled but Eliza still looked unsure. Angela and Angelica walked Eliza upstairs and helped her pack for the summer.

    The next day, the sisters, Angelica Jr., and Philip hopped into the carriage and headed upstate to Albany where the Schuyler mansion still stands. It took two hours to get there and the family was getting quite sleepy. "We have arrived, Ladies." The driver announced, getting out to help the family with their luggage. Angela's father greeted them and let them in. They started unpacking in their old rooms.

    "Angela! This came for you earlier today." Angela's dad said, giving her a letter. Angela looked at the envelope with curiosity before opening it.

"My dearest, Angela

I can't seem to get my mind off of you. Ever since the dance we shared at the ball, it's been hard not to hear the name 'Angela Schuyler' in my head. I truly would do this in person, but I'm very shy and would stutter on my words. Hopefully, my letters will help in my quest to make you fall for me.

Sincerely,

Thomas Jefferson"

Angela had to read the letter six times to make sure she wasn't reading anything wrong. She was flabbergasted. Thomas Jefferson, the author of the Declaration, the ambassador to France, caught feelings for her. She couldn't believe the news.

    Angela ran into Angelica's room to find Eliza and Angelica laughing about something. She rushed over to Eliza and shoved the letter into her face. The squealing in the room intensified as the sisters jumped around in excitement. Summer was going to be great.

    Two months later, Angela suddenly felt like something bad was going to happen. She had the feeling in her gut that something was going wrong. She shrugged off the feeling and went down for supper.

    The sisters ended up taking the kids to the park. It had a beautiful lake that glimmered in the moonlight. Angela spent most of her time with the kids, teaching them how to catch frogs and skip stones. Angelica and Eliza sat on a bench near the lake. Angela sensed something was wrong so she walked over to her sisters. As Angela got closer, she heard Eliza's words become clear. "I dunno... I just wish he came with us. I don't understand why he works himself into the grave." Eliza rants, looking down at her lap.

    Angela didn't know what to say in this situation. Maybe Hamilton is the bad feeling that she's getting. Honestly, Angela wanted to enjoy the summer while it lasted so she made sure to keep it that way. Angela went back to playing with the kids. Things got a little out of hand and Angela fell into the lake. She resurfaced, laughing while the children giggled. Angela heard splashes next to her and saw that the whole family jumped in.

    They swam around the lake, dunking and throwing each other before it was time to go inside. After a hot bath, Angela went to bed.