Chapter 11

January 1st, 1782

    Angela was excited. She was riding back in a new, royal purple dress. Her hair has grown out a little so it doesn't look suspicious and she's ready to see her family again. The driver stopped in front of the Schuyler Mansion. She was getting out of the carriage before she felt someone tap her on the shoulder. Angela turned around and saw the driver smiling at her "Welcome home, Miss Schuyler." Angela hesitated to smile back. Was her "running away" that big of a deal? She nodded in acknowledgment and paid for the ride. She quickly ran to the front door and rapidly knocked.

    A few minutes had passed until Angela's father, Philip Schuyler, answered the door. Her father's face went from stoic and stern to surprised and overjoyed. Angela was engulfed in a hug from her sobbing dad before she was pulled inside. She looked around the house, happy to be home. "KIDS! Someone is here to see us!" Angela's dad yelled. Soon, four people, known as Angela's siblings, come down the stairs, confused about why they were called.

    Angela makes eye contact with all her siblings, shifting gazes between the four. She puts on a nervous smile before getting tackled into hugs, ears full of her siblings' screams and cries. She started laughing at her siblings' dramatic reactions as they helped her up. "WHERE ON EARTH HAVE YOU BEEN, ANGEL!?" Angelica screamed, still recovering from her shock. Angela panicked, where did she go? "Calm down, Gelica. I spent a lot of my time in Italy." Angela giggled.

    Angela turned towards Eliza and grabbed her hands. "I heard you got married! I'm sorry that I wasn't here to attend your wedding." Eliza just laughed while shaking her head "It's ok, what's good is that you're here now." Eliza reassured before brightening up "But you can meet my husband!" Eliza exclaimed in excitement "He should be in town with Burr!" Angela obviously knew who Burr was but she had to look confused to eliminate any suspicion. "Who's Burr? And Alex- I mean, your husband is leaving you alone when you're carrying his baby?" Angela asked with a protective face. The siblings laughed. "Dad, can we go out into the town?" Peggy asked, giving their dad the puppy eyes.  Their dad rolled his eyes before gesturing for them to get going. "You going, Philip?" Their dad asked, Philip just shook his head before going upstairs to his room.

    The four sisters made their way into town. Gasps and whispers were heard Angela could only catch a few "Is that the Schuyler that ran away?" and "Is that the Angela Schuyler?" Angela hid behind Angelica for the majority of the walk to the tavern that Alexander was supposedly in.

    The four sisters walked into the tavern and saw these two men sitting next to each other at the bar. Of course, they were Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton. Burr being the quiet one and Hamilton being the loud one. The sisters walk up to them and Eliza lovingly taps Alexander on the shoulder.

    "Darling, I have someone that I'd like you to meet." Alexander turned around while Burr looked over at Angela in curiosity. "This is my sister that I told you about. The one that ran away? Well her name is Angela." Alexander stretched out his hand which Angela took before Alexander left a swift peck on Angela's knuckles. Angela giggled and rolled her eyes.

    Alexander suddenly stopped "You remind me of an old friend of mine. He disappeared after the war. His name was Thomas Allen. He had the same personality." Before Angela could reply, Angelics stepped in "I know right? Thomas Allen was such a sweet guy. It's sad that he disappeared." Angela decided to lighten up the mood by smiling and turning towards Burr. "You must be Aaron Burr, sir?" Angela joked before shaking Burr's hand "Pleasure to meet you."

    The sisters stayed in the tavern until late. The Schuyler Sisters walked home with Burr and Alexander. Soon, Alexander and Eliza had to go back to their house and the rest reached the Schuyler Mansion. Angela offered to walk with Burr to his house but he refused to make Angela walk that far when she just got home.

    A few days have past and Angela's popularity went back to normal. She was currently patiently waiting for the results of the baby in the hospital. Eliza was recently taken in when her water broke and Angela was there in seconds.

    Soon, she heard muffled cries and she knew Philip Hamilton was finally born. A few hours later, Angela was let into the room where Eliza was asleep and Alexander was holding the baby. Angela sat next to Alexander and looked down at the babbling baby before looking up at Alexander and softly giggling, tears forming.

    It's been weeks and the baby was finally let out of the hospital. Angela stayed at the Hamilton residence to help Eliza take care of Philip. It was a blessing to be there for Philip's first crawl, first walk, first word. Angela was a hardworking aunt.

    It was late August when Angela and Alexander were putting Philip to bed. They were quietly laughing at the things Philip would do. Eliza comes in with a letter in her hand. "Alexander, there's a letter for you from South Carolina." Alexander waves his hand dismissively, still looking at Philip "If it's from John Laurens I'll read it later." Eliza just shook her head "No, It's not."

    Alexander looked up in shock before standing up "Will you read it to me?" Eliza nodded before opening the letter. "On Tuesday the 27th, Lieutenant Colonel John Laurens was killed in a gunfight against British troops in South Carolina. These troops had not yet received word from Yorktown that the war was over. He's buried here until his family

can send for his remains. As you may know, Lieutenant Colonel Laurens was engaged in recruiting 3,000 men for the first all-black military regiment. The surviving members of this regiment have been returned to their masters." Eliza recited in a shaky voice that got worse as the letter continued.

Alexander was silent, but Angela was quick to excuse herself and rush out of the house. She leaned against the house as the tears started to fall. Angela could hear John's voice echo through her head 'Tomorrow they'll be more of us!' Angela fell to the ground, screams of despair leaving her mouth. Her best friend is gone. She didn't even get to say goodbye.