Chapter 5

October 7th, 1777

Days have gone by and apparently more troops have arrived at Gates' camp. Evidently, the British were waiting on their backup as well but they weren't going to make it in time. Angela couldn't believe she was here, doing this. She could've been safe at the other camp but now she's risking her life because curiosity killed the cat.

Angela knew Gates wouldn't be happy with her or anybody who tagged along on this mistake of a push. As Angela tried to get something productive done by cleaning the horses, she started hearing screams from her fellow soldiers. Confused and of course curious, she followed where the screams came from. 'Maybe they're just messing around like Laurens and I do.' Angela assumed. Well, until she got to the scene of the crime.

There, bleeding to death in the grass, was three of her fellow troops. She held back a scream of her own when she saw a British battalion marching around the wooded area they hid in. Angela then heard Arnold yelling for troops to get in position. 'I guess he just now heard back from Gates.' She thought to herself as she grabbed her musket and hid behind a tree.

The second she heard British accents getting closer and footsteps getting louder, she immediately came from behind the tree and shot the two soldiers that were standing there. This method was used throughout the battle by every Patriot and it somehow successfully forced the British to fall back.

Angela saw them heading north. 'Going to Saratoga I assume.' Angela thought before turning around and helping up wounded soldiers and making sure that every soldier was treated. Turns out, Arnold was even wounded in that battle. His leg was in critical condition. Angela couldn't close her eyes that night.

The last couple of days have been cold and rainy. Angela was surprised that they didn't freeze to death or at least run out of supplies. General Gates had arrived in Bemis Heights with his battalion and Angela was able to see Laurens. Gates and Arnold's argument wasn't pretty, but Arnold was let off easily when Gates found out about his wounded leg.

Gates ended up ordering an attack on the remains of Burgoyne's army so Angela grabbed her musket for the third time and got on Magnet's back. The Patriots caught up with Burgoyne and surrounded their "camp"

'Looks like the weather conditions delayed their retreat.' Angela got off of Magnet and helped make a base near the British' camp.

    Eight days. It's been eight days since they've been there and there was no sign of the Patriots giving up. Soon, a man in a red coat was waving a white flag. Gates soon ordered everyone to stand down and to line up for the surrender. Angela was about to cry. They really defeated the British.

    John Burgoyne presented his sword to General Gates, but Gates refused to take it. The British marched back to their ship, finally heading back to England.

    Angela looked at Gates with happiness and excitement in her eyes. "See? I told you that you'd do just fine." Gates joked with a smile as they started to make their way to the new camp in Valley Forge.

    Angela was welcomed with warm arms from Washington and a cozy coat. Apparently the French have finally joined the revolution and Lafayette will be getting a command when he's done recovering. Angela was overjoyed with the news. She celebrated with the 'Revolutionary Set' before going back to normal duties of training the recruits.

    It was getting colder by the day and the soldiers were dying off, leaving, or getting sick. Some doing all three. Angela was getting frustrated with the troops that would join and leave immediately. She was probably getting sick herself. Nights were freezing, days were stressful and Congress was still trying to make them attack British forces. Thank God Hamilton knew how to write them out. Merchants refused to lend a hand and hope was fading quickly.

    Lafayette finally came back, taking his command with pride. They all celebrated his return and did what they usually did when night decided to waltz in like nobody's business, relax and stargaze.

    "Jesus, it's cold. Why does it have to be December?!" Mulligan complained, shivering and puffing out air like an angry dragon. Angela couldn't help but chuckle at Mulligan's whining, shivering as bad as he was. "Oh, calm down, Mulligan. It's winter what do you expect? American weather has always been really hot and really cold." Hamilton retaliated with a giggle. The banter caused Mulligan to whine even more.

    Angela was just happy she was alive to see her friends and to live another day. The night went on and Hamilton started complaining about a man named 'Aaron Burr', he was apparently really annoying and never left Hamilton alone. Angela was interested and wanted to meet this Aaron Burr, so she tried to hear more about him, but she started dozing off when it started to snow. She only heard little things about Burr like how he's always one step behind Alexander but it never cuts, he's lieutenant colonel, and that he tried to become Washington's right-hand man.

The group decided to head in for the night when it got even colder, if possible. Angela had to cuddle up even more in her blanket. It didn't change much though, it just felt safe and secure so she kept it on anyway.

    The next day, Angela woke up and reluctantly got out from under the blanket. She met with the 'Revolutionary Set' near the stables and heard Hamilton whining and crying out like it's the end of the world.

    "I'm sure it's not that bad, Alex." Laurens tried to reason but Alexander wasn't having it "It's AWFUL! How could he give Second-In-Command to that bastard! Lee hasn't done anything to deserve to be a general let alone get a command. 'So General Lee got second-in-command, huh? Hamilton must feel betrayed.' Angela thought to herself as the group tried to comfort Hamilton to the best of their ability.

    "No," Washington answered, the littlest of sympathy on his face when we told him how betrayed Hamilton felt. Angela was losing patience. How dare Washington give second-in-command to Charles Lee and not someone he considers a literal son? This was stressful.