Chapter 2

September 1st, 1777

Angela knew she was warned about the soldier's life being hard but dear god, it hurts to even walk. But here she was, marching with her battalion, patrolling around Delaware County. She felt like she was about to collapse but she knew she had to do it to keep the country safe. Then again, her life was even harder because she had to wear bandages to hide her breasts and just hide that she was a female in general. Angela felt numb and her body was dying. "Can we stop yet? Why are we even doing this? They wouldn't come at this time anyway." A random soldier complained, Angela turned towards him, her eyebrows twitching. "I want you to say that to your pregnant wife that's going through labor and she needs you to take her to a doctor." The battalion went silent. "Exactly." Angela kept walking while everyone followed right behind.

Soon enough, they returned to camp with no action in sight. Washington greeted them upon return. "Welcome back, men. Sergeant Allen, can I speak with you please?" Angela panicked but saluted just like every other soldier in her battalion. "Yes, sir." Every soldier went about their day while Angela followed Washington into his tent. "What did you need, your excellency?" Angela questioned listening to Washington's motion for her to sit. "I have a very important question for you," Washington replies, staring into Angela's eyes like it was illegal to look away. "What is it, sir?" Angela muttered. "You're probably my hardest working soldier on our team right now. Would you like to take the spot as one of my right-hand men? I could use the extra help around here. You'll be working alongside Alexander Hamilton." Washington asked, serious as ever. Angela was shocked. She managed to become a right-hand man quicker than any man in the army. Angela gave a small smile, "I would love to, your excellency." Washington smiled and gave Angela a quill, sliding the paper so that she could sign it.

Thomas Allen

Angela signed the contract and shook hands with Washington once again, just like her first time at camp.

Duties started quickly and things were different from before. Instead of patrolling, Angela would take care of training the recruits. She still did her daily training with her battalion but it was calmer than before. "Hey, Allen, is it?" Angela turned around to see a guy she learned to be John Laurens and three other men behind him. She knew this group, they went by the name 'Revolutionary Set' Hercules Mulligan, an Irish spy and a member of the Sons Of Liberty. John Laurens, a reckless soldier that goes against slavery. Marquis De Lafayette, a Frenchman, and a general who came just this year to help America. And last but not least, Alexander Hamilton, an orphan and the other right-hand man of Washington who considers a son who wants his country to grow probably more than Angela. "Yes, actually, and you're Laurens right?" Angela asked like she's never seen them in her life. "Yep, that's me! We just wanted to introduce you to Marquis De Lafayette. He's from France and here to help with the Revolution!" Laurens shoves Lafayette so that he's right in front of Angela.

"Why, hello, there." Angela greeted, reaching out her hand for a handshake. "Uh...bonjour! I mean- hello! Um... Je ne parle pas très bien Anglais..." Lafayette chuckled nervously. The blush of embarrassment filled his pale cheeks. Angela looked at him in confusion. "He said: He's not good with English." Hamilton interrupted with an unamused expression. Angela nodded in understanding as she shook hands with Lafayette. "See you in training, Lafayette," Angela says with a smile before going to get ready before she has to train the recruits.

Angela gave Lafayette more attention to get to know him better. Angela learned that Lafayette's birthday is in five days. She also learned that Washington treats Lafayette like a son as well. "You get all the commands, huh?" Angela teased as they trained "Well...uh... Non. He has not... how do you say? Give me a command..." Lafayette responded with a disappointed tone. Angela gave him a look of wonder so Lafayette continued "He wants me...to be safe..." an annoyed scowl was prominent on Lafayette's face after that. Angela has a sense of pity in her so she patted him on the back. "You'll get your own command. I promise." They shared a smile as training went on.

"Your excellency, I need to ask you something," Angela announced, somewhat startling Washington with her intrusion. "What is it, son-" Washington was cut off by Hamilton who was walking by "Why must you call everyone son?" Angela and Washington shook off the encounter when Hamilton left and Angela continued. "Lafayette's birthday is coming up just a week from now and I was wondering if you could help me with his birthday present." Washington looked convinced with the idea so Angela kept going "Lafayette was telling me how he wanted a command. He told me how you only want to keep him safe. Sir, I saw the doubt in his eyes when I told him that you'd give him a command one day-", "Allen, that's enough. I understand. Lafayette keeps pestering me about a command but I just can't give it to him right now. I'm sorry, but his birthday present will have to consist of something else." Angela looked down in defeat but nodded nonetheless "Yes, sir."

Waiting for her outside of Washington's tent was the 'Revolutionary Set' that Angela was invited to a few hours ago. Lafayette was nowhere to be seen. "How'd it go?" Mulligan asked with a hopeful look that turned into a frown when Angela sadly shook her head. Hamilton shrugged "I told you it was pointless. It takes a lot more to get a command than a simple meet and greet." Laurens softly punched Hamilton in the arm "Admit it, bastard. Lafayette deserves a command just as much as you do." Hamilton glared and pushed Laurens away "And guess who still doesn't have a command, Laurens? Me. Why would Lafayette get a command before me?" Everyone was quiet after that and Hamilton walked away, excusing himself to go feed Old Nelson. The other three dismissed Hamilton's sour attitude and spent the rest of the day training with one another.