Chapter 14

March 4th, 1797

    It's been a few years since Angela, Angelica, Eliza, and the kids have gotten back from their trip. Angela got a letter that Washington had resigned from presidency and she honestly didn't know how to feel about that. At least Washington didn't die but still, she wanted to be there for when he left. Angela also managed to score a relationship with her idol, Thomas Jefferson and things couldn't get any better.

    A few months later, Angela and Thomas were walking down the New York City streets since he was visiting for an office meeting. They stop by a Newspaper stand to see the latest things happening. Angela's eyes scanned over all the papers until she saw a stack of papers labeled 'The Reynolds Pamphlet' Angela picked one up, and the couple kept walking while she flipped through it. She let go of Thomas' hand as she read one of the lines

"The charge against me is a connection with one, James Reynolds. With purposes of improper speculation. My real crime was an amorous connection with his wife for a considerable time. WITH HIS KNOWING CONSENT. I had frequent meetings with her, most of them at my own house. Mrs. Hamilton, with our children, being absent on a visit to her father."

Angela hadn't realized that Thomas was reading over her shoulder until she heard a quiet "Well he's never gon' be president now." With a giggle. She glared at him before smacking him with the pamphlet gently. Angela flipped through it some more. The pamphlet was ninety-five pages long! Angela looked closely at one page. "Maria Reynolds, huh?" Angela murmured, mimicking when she first told Washington that she was Thomas Allen. Thomas grabbed Angela's hand again and squeezed.

Angela was worried about Eliza's reaction. She was furious that Alexander would go and tell the whole damned country about his affair. Lord, Eliza must be humiliated. Being the protective big sister that she was, she kissed Thomas goodbye and rushed to the Hamilton residence.

    Angela barged into Alexander's office, The Reynolds Pamphlet crumpled in her hands. "Alexander, are you losing your head?" Angela calmly asked as Alexander stood up to greet her. Angela stretched her arm out and prevented Alexander from walking any closer. "Congratulations." Angela smiled, full of sarcasm and anger. Alexander stepped back in shock, facial expression dropping. "You have invented a new kind of stupid..." Angela muttered, pushing the wrinkled pamphlet in Alexander's face. "How could you think that sharing an affair would protect your legacy. THE FAMILY YOU MADE is your legacy." Angela yelled. Alexander couldn't respond "I didn't mean for it to be like this-" Angela wasn't having it and cut him off  "OF COURSE, YOU DIDN'T MEAN FOR IT TO BE LIKE THIS." Angela walked over to Alexander's desk, to see the letters from Maria Reynolds.

    Tears started falling "I had to go through hell catching Laurens' heart every time it fell because of you. I had to make sure that Angelica didn't hurt herself, she gave up her love for you and Eliza. And now John and Angelica's efforts were put to waste because you decided to give in to temptation."

Angela was furious. Alexander looked surprised but soon turned suspicious "How do you know John Laurens?" Angela started to panic. She didn't know what to say "we....were childhood friends. One of my first friends." Angela lied before going back to the point.

"You sacrificed being happy. You sacrificed your legacy to save what? What did you end up saving, Alexander? You've embarrassed and shamed yourself and now everyone can embarrass and shame you." Angela was fidgeting "you, you, you" Angela chanted going up to Alexander, shoving him around.

    Angela felt sick. The man who ruined her sister's life is standing right in front of her and she couldn't help but feel bad for him. She wasn't willing to listen to his side of the story but she felt bad that she wasn't going to listen to him. Alexander was sobbing. Angela ignored it and kept going. "I will not take your side this time. I love my sisters more than anything in this life. I will choose their happiness over mine every time. Eliza is the best thing in our lives, so never lose sight of the fact that you have been blessed with the best wife." Angela then headed for the door, but before closing it she stuck her head in again with a sarcastic smile "Congratulations."

The door was slammed shut and Angela made her way to the shared bedroom. She started hearing sobbing from far down the hallway, the sobs getting louder as she got closer to the bedroom door. Once she got there, she knocked quietly but firmly to ensure that Eliza hears. Angela heard a quiet "Come in" before softly barging into the room. "Eliza! Oh, I'm so sorry he's done this to you..." Angela trailed off, holding Eliza close as she sobbed.

"I burnt all the letters he wrote to me. I took off the ring, but I ended up having to put it back on because I'm just helpless!" Eliza cried, wrapping her arms tightly around Angela. "I hope he burns... I HOPE HE BURNS!' Eliza screamed, aggressively wiping her tears away. Angela shushed her quietly "You and I both know that you don't mean that. What he did was terrible but a marriage like yours shouldn't be given up on so quickly." Angela sighs, she didn't know what she was doing. She was trying to side with Eliza but she realized how bad Alexander has it right now.

Days went by and Angela had taken to watching the kids as Eliza recovered and Alexander hid away in his office. Angela and Philip formed some sort of bond. The two had this game where after school, Philip would come home and write and perform poems for Angela before doing his homework. Sometimes, Philip tried (and maybe succeeded, depending on Angela's mood) to write some before he got home so that Angela would be "so distracted" with the poems and performances that she'd forget about Philip's homework.

Angie and Angela never really formed a bond. Angie was quiet and never really interacted with Angela that much. Angie was close to Alexander and Philip though. Really close. Angela would often come by the house and hear Alexander singing popular songs while Angie played the piano or harp. Philip really liked taking Angela into the garden to perform his poems when it got too noisy in the house. Angela hoped Philip stayed happy and innocent. He was only fifteen.