Chapter 1

August 17th, 1777.

"Papa! Please just let me come with you. I could do so much more outside of these walls and out there with you. I could help make a difference." Angela pleaded, grabbing on her father's arm as he tries to get his coat on. "Angela Phoebe Schuyler, I already told you no. I will not repeat myself." Philip replied sternly. The Schuylers had just heard that there would be British ambush led by British Generals Charles Cornwallis and Sir William Howe and of course their father was called to help. They were planning an ambush on Patriot outpost near Brandywine Creek down in Pennsylvania.

Elizabeth had just turned twenty a week ago. Angela was angry that her father had to leave but even more angry that she STILL couldn't go. She finally let her dad's arm go and watched as he waved to her sisters and left just like that. She stormed up to her room. "You can't blame him, Angel. He's just doing his job." Angela could hear Angelica call from downstairs. She could hear the house calm down as silence filled its insides. Angela finally got to work.

She opened her vanity drawer to find a pair of scissors and started cutting her dark brown, long, curly hair until it was just above shoulder length. She opened her closet and got out the dark purple trench coat, velvet vest,  a white dress shirt underneath, purple velvet pants, long white stockings, and black buckled shoes. The trench coat had a similar pattern on it like her dress. Angela grabbed a quill and wrote a fake note about running away.

"My dearest, sisters

I couldn't handle the constant pressure of being the perfect woman so bid my farewell for now. I will be away putting my plans and ideas to work instead of just hiding them away in an old journal. Angelica, take care of the others and engulf the spotlight like you do every day. Liza, step out of your comfort zone once in a while, you're as good as every Schuyler sister. Peggy, don't worry about what everyone says, you're important to me and the others, people are just jealous you get to be a Schuyler sister. Now, I must go. I love you all, tell me everything that happened when I come back.

Sincerely,

Your Guardian Angel"

Angela nodded in satisfaction before putting the note on her vanity and opening the window. She was done being told what she's supposed to do. It's her turn to make her story. Angela jumped out of the window and called for a carriage that was passing by. "Name and destination, sir?" Sir? The disguise was working! "Uhhh Thomas.... Allen...and Philadelphia please." Angela stuttered out as she got in the back seat. "Alright sir, your ride will be roughly three hours. Is that ok?" The driver asked. Angela couldn't believe she was doing this. "Sir? Are three hours ok for you?" Angela snapped out of her thoughts "Uh sorry! Yes, three hours is perfect." The driver nodded before turning back around and whipping his horses to make them keep moving.

Angela couldn't remember falling asleep but the driver shaking her awake was proof that she did. Angela blinked until her vision focused. "We have arrived, sir." Angela nodded as she slowly stepped out of the carriage and looked around. 'Wow, Liza was right. We are lucky to be alive right now.' Angela thought. She took out a few dollars out of her coat pocket and gave it to the driver, thanking him for the ride. The carriage drove away and Angela turned towards Philadelphia.

She walked around the town square until she remembered what she needed to do. She needed to find Delaware County. She asked around and everyone pointed her in the direction of the road leading to Baltimore, Maryland. It took her a good thirty minutes to get there, but when she got there she saw the continental army camp. She walked towards it and asked where she should go to declare to be a volunteer. Everyone pointed to a tent bigger than the others that had a tall man standing outside of it. She hesitated going over there but talked herself into going.

"Who are you, son?" The man at the front glared down at Angela. "Thomas Allen, sir," Angela replied and the man nodded as a way of telling her to state her case. "It's been a dream of mine to fight for my country's freedom and I wanted to become a soldier," Angela stated confidently. The man groaned but led Angela inside. She saw a huge desk with a tall George Washington looking down at a map, talking with his men about the ambush. "Your excellency, there is someone who would like to speak with you." The guard man announced. Washington looked up with a nonchalant look and Angela could feel her confidence plunder into the void of her stomach. "This man wants to volunteer for the army." the man announced again. Washington gave a small, very small smile "Thank you, General Lee. Men, I have a new meeting to attend to." Everyone immediately left the room. Angela anxiously shifted from side to side. "Well? Take a seat." Washington ordered with a soft tone. Angela slowly sat down. "I hear you want to volunteer for the army? Well, let me warn you that when you get started you might want to quit. We train every day, patrol, and of course fight with British forces. As you may know, the British plan to ambush soon so I don't blame you if you walk out right now." Washington states leaning his forearms on the table. Angela looked at Washington, searching for permission to speak, Washington nods. "My father always told me stories about the revolution and what amazing people are willing to do for us to become a free country. I want to help. I want America to be free from England. No more taxes, unfair laws. I'm willing to give up my life for my country and people." Angela declared, more confident than expected.

Washington nodded in approval "What's your name, son?" Angela inhaled. This was it. "Thomas Allen, sir," she answered, begging for no questions about where she's from. "Thomas Allen, huh?" "Yes, sir." Washington stood up and reached out his hand for Angela to shake, which she gladly shook. "Well, Thomas Allen, welcome to the continental army."