Chapter 3

September 10th, 1777

Lafayette's birthday passed a couple of days ago and still no sign of Washington letting up and giving him a command. Angela was starting to worry. The British are coming soon and it feels like no one is prepared. She ordered everyone to train twice as hard to ensure that they could do this. The 'Revolutionary Set' of course do better than most of the other soldiers.

Night falls and Angela is in Washington's tent planning for the British to attack the next day. What they didn't expect was Charles Lee to come running into the tent screaming "THE REGULARS ARE COMING!" Chaos broke out in the camp while Angela and Hamilton tried to gather everyone. Angela got on her horse, Magnet, and rallied her battalion ready before waiting for commands from Washington. She saw Lafayette get dragged close by Washington, securing him from any harm. "Allen, gather your troops and flank from the right," Washington ordered as he went with Lafayette to talk about more plans with the others.

Angela turned toward her men "Follow behind me and stay calm. We can't afford a slip-up from y'all panicking." Angela led her troops to the right. The flanks weren't successful however because there was a second battalion that flanked behind Angela's. Angela's scream apparently caught Lafayette's attention cause five minutes later, Lafayette is riding into battle trying to rally up all of Angela's soldiers. Seeing Lafayette get off his horse caused Angela to get off Magnet and ordered him to bring Lafayette's horse back to camp. With Lafayette's help, they managed to organize a safe retreat. Until Lafayette let out a hair-raising scream of agony. Angela turns to her left to see Lafayette cradling his leg. She runs over and helps him up. "M-mon ami, go!" Angela shook her head and shoved Lafayette so that he was now running, or hobbling, in front of her. "I'm not leaving until you're out safely. Go." Lafayette and Angela make it out unharmed, well except for Lafayette's leg.

The injured soldiers get escorted to the docking area to be sailed off and cared for. Angela watched as Lafayette was docked and overheard Washington talking with the doctor. "Treat him as if he was my own son." Angela smiled before going to the stables and seeing the rest of the 'Revolutionary Set' hanging out with Old Nelson. "Hey, Allen. We heard there's going to be a Winter's Ball in 1780. Are you going? I mean, come on. The Schuyler Sisters are going to be there." Mulligan said with a chuckle. "The Schuyler Sisters?" Hamilton questioned, never hearing of these people before. "They're from one of the richest families in New York. The daughters of Philip Schuyler. Didn't you hear? One ran away a month ago." Angela explained. I mean, she was a Schuyler Sister so it would be best if she explained it. "OOOOO Allen, you got a crush or something?" Laurens teased with a playful smirk. Angela grimaced at the thought of having a crush on her sisters. "No, but I know you do, Laurens." She shot back watching satisfaction as Laurens shut up with an embarrassed blush on his face.

The group of rambunctious soldiers messed around for the majority of the night, only going to their own tents when it got unbearably cold. Once Angela finally got cozied up in her wool blanket in her tent, she realized how life-threatening what she's doing was. They barely made it out in one piece earlier. Was she truly ready to fight? 'No, Angela. Stop thinking like that! You're a fighter. You will not give up like this. You were caught off-guard, don't blame yourself.' Despite her inspiring thoughts, her worries still lingered in the back of her mind.

Angela can't seem to ever remember when she falls asleep but here she is slowly waking up to Laurens gently shaking her. "Allen, Washington wants you. Hurry and get up!" Angela slowly sat up and rubbed her eyes. She didn't notice Laurens leave until she realized her tent was wide open. Angela stood up with a yawn and started to make her way over to Washington's tent. She sends a nod of acknowledgment to General Lee standing outside of the tent as usual.

"Your excellency, you needed me?" Angela couldn't help the burst of nervousness every time she was called in here. Washington's face brightened at the sight of Angela finally arriving. "Ah, yes! General Allen, please take a seat." Angela gladly took the seat before looking at Washington expectantly "I need to ask you a favor, Allen." Angela gave him a look of question. As if it was a sign to continue, Washington kept talking "Later today, I need you to start marching north to Saratoga. Keep an eye out for any British ambushes. They already are taking over Philadelphia. While you're marching, we'll be moving the camp northwest to Valley Forge."

Angela started to panic. Of course, Washington would send her after she was wondering just last night if she was cut out for this. "Sir, I don't think I'm fit for that kind of job. Maybe Hamilton or even Laurens could do it!" Washington's face softened at Angela's frightened tone. "Allen, I know it sounds scary-" but Angela's mental breakdown wasn't having it "And I was nearly killed yesterday! If Lafayette wasn't injured you would surely send him!" Angela stood up in panic so Washington followed suit. "General Alle-" Washington tried to calm her down but nothing was reaching her. "If I can't even safely lead my troops without nearly getting killed then what if-" Angela looked down at her own hands "Son, I get it-" Angela's hands reached her hair and gently tugged "What if I DIE!?" "Thomas Allen." Angela's terrified eyes met Washington's stern but understanding eyes. "I picked you, I picked Thomas Allen because I saw first hand how well you handled the situation with the help of Lafayette. I picked you because you're a good fighter and a hard worker. I picked you because I trust you and trust in your skills to not only keep your battalion safe but also be able to put up a good fight." Washington's words were able to soothe Angela out of panic.

"Now, I need you to rally your troops and explain what y'all are going to do." Washington finished as he walked past Angela and patted her on the back. Angela soon walked out of the tent and gathered her battalion around. "His excellency has ordered me and all of you to march up to Saratoga to keep an eye on the British. The camp will be moved while we are gone." Angela announced as Laurens came with her horse. She hopped on Magnet's back and waved to Laurens before beginning the march to Saratoga.