The Night Before Tour

Pairing: Josh Dun x Reader

Word Count: 645

Warnings: Angst

Author's Note: I hope you enjoy this one :)

*     *     *

Josh knew from the moment he laid eyes on you that your place in his life wasn't permanent. He had already had his fair share of encounters with fleeting relationships, spending weekends wrapped up in one another until he was off to the next city, but something about you was different. That's when Josh found himself walking up to you, putting on his signature smile and offering that you two get coffee together the next morning. Drinks had never really been his thing.

What he had originally intended to be a short fling turned into a month long relationship. The two of you spent every free moment together, going on drives along the California coast and exploring the city, trying your best to blend into the crowds. For a moment, Josh thought that this might be the real thing. Maybe it was time to put his playboy reputation to rest once and for all.

Until the morning before tour came.

Josh came over to your apartment, as he often did, sporting his usual outfit of sweatpants and a t-shirt. His hair was still a bit messy, but he was quick to brush his fingers through it when he caught you stifling a giggle.

"I have news," you said as you placed a steaming mug of coffee on the counter in front of him.

Josh picked it up, letting the ceramic warm his hands. His lips rested on the rim. "Good news?"

"Not exactly."

He set the mug back down again. "What is it?"

You breathed deeply, already feeling tears prickling at your eyes. Though this was something you had warned Josh about from the start of your relationship, evidently neither of you had expected it to come to pass. As a result, you had kept the news secret ever since you learned about it a few weeks ago, not wanting to ruin whatever the two of you had going on.

"I got the job."

Josh jumped out of his chair, wrapping his arms around you. You didn't reciprocate, all you could do was stand there with your face pressed to his chest and hold back tears. His excitement only made the sting worse.

"That's fantastic!" He squeezed you tighter. "How could you think that was bad news?"

"Because they're sending me to New York," you mumbled into his chest.

Josh finally loosened his grip. "What?"

"They're sending me to New York. For work. I move out in two weeks." You paused. "I won't be here when you get back."

Josh's mouth opened and closed again. His hands were still gripping your arms, tighter now that you had delivered the bad half of the news.

"Well... I can come visit. We'll be up there for tour anyway. We can make it work."

"No, Josh," you shook your head as tears slipped down your cheeks. "We can't."

"Why not?"

You stared at Josh's chest, unable to look him in the eyes.

"I know you, and I know how you are. You're not going to want to do long distance, not when you're in a different city."

"But it's you."

"Me? The person you've been unofficially dating for a month? What kind of foundation is that for us, Josh?"

"It's enough."

You shook your head, hastily wiping away a tear with the back of your hand. Josh's fingers were digging into your arm.

"Don't lie to me."

"I'm not. I love you, Y/N."

"Please, Josh, will you just stop? I know how this has to end, and you telling me lies to try and make me stay will only make it worse."

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

You leaned forward, pressing your forehead to Josh's chest. He slowly wrapped his arms around you, drawing you in until your body was pressed against his. You no longer tried to stop the tears.

Some things were just meant to end.