Rough Day

Pairing: Tyler Joseph x Reader

Word Count: 1161

Warnings: The tiniest sprinkle of angst

Author's Note: I really like this one and I hope all of you do too :)

*     *     *

Your keys jingled as you tried to open the door to your apartment. It jammed a little, but with some extra force from your shoulder it swung open. Tyler turned to look at you over the back of the couch as you walked in and set your bag down near the door. You took your time kicking your shoes off and loosening the button-down shirt that was part of your office's dress code.

"How was work?" Tyler asked, using his arm to shift himself up to a sitting position.

"How do you think?" you huffed.

"Here, come sit."

You shuffled over to the couch and sunk down into the cushions. Tyler scooted closer and motioned for you to sit up. It took a bit of convincing on his part since you had just sat down, but you eventually gave in. As soon as Tyler started to massage your shoulders, you were glad you had gone along with his plan.

"Tell me about your day."

"Well, it started off with my project manager yelling at me because I forgot to do one thing before I left yesterday, even though I remembered the twenty thousand other things he wanted me to do. Then someone stole my lunch so I had to get a sandwich from the place down the street, which wasn't that bad, aside from the fact that it cut into my lunch time. And then the rest of work was just boring, as usual."

"They stole the lunch I made for you?"

"Yes! And I was looking forward to eating it, too," you frowned.

"I'm really sorry. I can make you another lunch tomorrow," Tyler said, giving your shoulders a light squeeze. "Did that other guy finally stop bothering you, though?"

"Kinda, but he started bothering another one of our coworkers so I don't really feel good about it."

"That's not your fault, though."

"I know, but I understand firsthand how annoying it is and I don't want anyone else to go through that. I'd rather deal with it myself so nobody else has to."

"You're too nice, love."

"My coworkers might not agree," you laughed.

Tyler gave your shoulders a light pat, signaling that he was done with the massage. You rolled your shoulders a couple times and thanked him.

"I'm going to go change into something more comfortable and then I'll be back to talk some more, ok?"

"Ok. Did you want me to make you a drink while you're changing?"

"A hot chocolate, maybe?"

"One hot chocolate, coming right up."

You shuffled into the bedroom you shared with Tyler and wasted no time stripping off your button-down shirt. Of all the complications that came along with your workplace, the strict dress code had to be one of your least favorites. Not only were you spending eight hours every day doing work that you hated, you were uncomfortable the entire time, too.

Tyler smiled at you as you walked back into the room, now wearing a comfortable pair of shorts and an oversized t-shirt. A mug of steaming hot chocolate was sitting on the coffee table.

"How are you feeling now?" he asked.

"Better," you answered as you fell back onto the couch.

You grabbed your mug from the coffee table and then threw your legs over Tyler's lap. He lightly traced his fingers along your shins with one hand, the other was busy holding his own mug of hot chocolate.

"How were things here?" you asked, not wanting to keep the conversation on you forever. "Did you figure out more tour stuff?"

Tyler nodded. "I had a conference call with some people and then Josh was over for a little while to get some more details ironed out, but everything is coming together. We're just waiting on a few more confirmations and then we're about good to go. Plus, I even got some writing done."

"Ty, Vessel isn't even out yet," you smiled. "The next album is way in the future."

"Yeah, but it's never too early to get a headstart."

You took a long sip of your hot chocolate. It burned the roof of your mouth, but still tasted good.

"When do you leave for tour?"

"A couple weeks, if everything goes as planned. Then we'll be gone for a few months, I can't remember the exact timeline."

"I'm going to miss you," you pouted, reaching out so that you could hold his free hand. "You've never been on a tour before."

"Well, what if you came with us?"

You stared at Tyler, waiting for the moment when he announced that it was all a joke. That moment never came, Tyler just kept looking at you, waiting for an answer.

"You're not serious, are you?"

"I'm serious," he smiled.

"But, what about my job? There's no way we can afford for me to take that time off. Hell, I don't think my boss would even let me take that time off. I can't go."

"Then quit."

"Quit? Tyler, are you crazy? I can't just quit my job."

"I know it sounds crazy, but hear me out, Y/N. You can come with us on tour, help sell merch, finally get out of the job that you hate. It's perfect."

"And what about the money?" you asked.

"Based on what they projected for our earnings this tour and the album sales, we won't have to worry about money. Not for awhile, anyway."

"You're really serious about this?"

"Of course I'm serious. I love you and I want you to be with me on this journey."

Tyler barely had time to set his mug down before you were throwing your arms around him and hugging him tightly. Tears were brimming your eyes from the sheer happiness of finally getting to leave behind the job that had been causing you nothing but torment for the past two years. Joining Tyler on tour felt like a dream come true.

"I love you so much," you whispered into his shoulder. "I want to be with you on this journey, too."

"You're going to be. You're going to be on tour with me," he repeated, like he almost couldn't believe it himself. "We're starting a new life together."

"I'll put in my two weeks tomorrow," you smiled, finally releasing Tyler from your embrace. "That way I'll be ready to go by the time tour comes around."

"Perfect," he grinned back at you. "Now come here."

Tyler grabbed your face and pulled you into a kiss. You eagerly returned it, unable to keep the wide smile off of your face.

"You taste like hot chocolate," you giggled.

"So do you."

"Thank you for giving me this opportunity, Ty. It means a lot."

"Thank you for inspiring me to keep working on my music. I wouldn't be here without you."

"I love you."

"I love you too, love," he said, giving you one more kiss. " I can't wait to always have you by my side."