Reputation

Pairing: Tyler Joseph x Reader

Word Count: 745

Warnings: Little bit of angst

Author's Note: I hope all of you enjoy this one :)

*     *     *

My hand was only part way on the door handle when I froze. It lingered there for a second until I pulled away, instead stepping in front of the mirror in the hallway for the millionth time. My shaking fingers went to my shirt collar, smoothing out the fabric. Nothing had changed since I last looked in the mirror, but something still felt out of place.

I closed my eyes, breathing in deeply through my nose. The world around me faded away, allowing me a moment to sort out my thoughts. With each exhale, things seemed to get a little clearer.

Nothing was out of place. It was just nerves.

I thought back to the last time I had been on a date. Things had been great at first: the conversation was easy, the sun was shining, and nobody had commented on the fact that I was famous. Until after dinner, that is. Then someone recognized me on the street, my date put the pieces together, and we had a heated discussion on the sidewalk about my reputation.

It hadn't been the first time.

My phone started to buzz in my pocket, drawing me out of my head and reminding me that I had to go. Today's date would only go well if I actually left my house and went on it.

*     *     *

I dug my hands deep into my pockets. Y/N and I were currently walking through the park after having a nice lunch together. The sun was shining down on us, but the breeze kept it from getting too warm. The date was going better than I ever could have hoped.

Now I was just waiting for it all to fall apart.

"You said you're a musician, right?" Y/N asked.

I nodded. This was usually where it all started.

"What do you play?"

"A few things," I shrugged. "Piano, bass, ukulele, singing. And I've hit drums once or twice."

"Wow," Y/N smiled. "I didn't expect so many answers."

"I also write songs."

"You know, I'm starting to think that I got really lucky bumping into you."

A smile briefly tugged at the corner of my lips. They wouldn't think that for long.

"Me too," I finally said.

Y/N stopped walking. I stopped and turned on my heel, facing them. Their lips were pressed tightly together and they were avoiding eye contact.

I knew exactly what was happening.

"I have a confession to make."

On the off chance that they were about to confess something entirely different, I kept my mouth shut and nodded.

"I know who you are," they exhaled. "The band, the music, the awards. Everything."

"How did you find out?"

"I googled you after you asked me on a date," Y/N giggled nervously. They were twisting their fingers together. "You know, safety reasons."

I nodded. "I understand."

"I'm sorry if that's weird."

"It happens all the time."

"Exactly. I didn't want to be that person."

I wanted to be more reassuring, but my mind was stuck. All I could think about was if Y/N knew about my reputation.

So I asked.

"Do you know?"

Y/N's eyebrows furrowed, "Know what?"

"About..." I swallowed. "About my reputation?"

It felt like a weight was pressing down on my chest. I hated this conversation and it never seemed to get easier, no matter how many times I had it. Maybe because each date I went on added more fuel to the fire.

I would always be a heartbreaker, no matter how hard I tried.

Y/N averted their gaze again, "I might have seen some things."

"What did you think?"

I braced myself for the let down.

"I think..." We finally met eyes, "some people just take a little longer to find the right person. And I think some people are put under a lot more fire for it because of who they are."

A sort of relief washed over me, but I held it back. I needed a clear answer before I finally let my guard drop.

"So what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that I think you're really cool, Tyler, and I'm not letting a stupid reputation change what I think about you."

My guard dropped so quickly that I swore I felt it physically happen. A smile overtook my face and across from me, Y/N was smiling too. After a hesitant moment, I pulled them into a hug.

This time really was different, after all.