XXII

You are living because you have a purpose, not just because you are breathing

***

I have never been inside a detention hall.

All my life, I always make sure that I will never go inside a detention hall, even if I sacrifice my will and freedom. But, then this day came, I never expected this thing to happen.

I stared blankly at the ceiling. The white lights above me are more dangerous than any other thing inside this room. Even the chair that I am sitting, or the white long table in front of me. I let out a sigh and composed myself.

Hindi alam ni Doctor Elliot itong nangyari, I don't even know kung nalaman ba ni Black na dinakip ako ng mga bulwark sa entrance ng Polysteel at dinala ako sa loob nitong detention hall. I feel like I was trapped inside this four-cornered-room.

I was busy thinking when suddenly the door opened and a man in uniform appeared. He looks young, and his black hair suits him well. He looked at me and smiled. His blue eyes are very majestic, just like his lips. He looks attractive and very young to become an officer.

"So, you are indeed a girl," he said and sat on the chair at the other side of the table, facing my direction.

"Expecting a boy, officer?" I asked and leaned my elbows on the table.

He chuckled a bit and let out his pen and dropped a piece of paper in front of him.

"What's your name?"

"Cora Memoir," I answered.

He made a face and wrote something on his paper.

"How old are you?"

I told him my exact age. When it comes to the government policies, we need to be true and honest. It is punishable by law, so we must not keep something that is contradicting the law.

"Why are you here inside the West Acres? Women are not allowed here, not unless you have some business in relation to the government." His charming face vanished and was replaced by a blank stare.

"I am part of the Young Inventors Program from the government, I am here to train my abilities," I answered.

He nodded his head and puts his attention to his paper.

"What's your violation?" he flipped another page and wrote again.

"I was accused for having an incorrect passcode."

His eyes went big a little bit. Like he was shocked and couldn't fathom what I said.

"Why is it incorrect? You've used someone's passcode?" he asked again while playing the pen on his hand.

"Don't you think you should know what happened to me before coming here? I mean, you're an officer... and you should read my case before coming here to clear things up. Why are you asking—"

"Wait, hold up." Pagpigil niya sa sasabihin ko.

"These questions are necessary for us to find out whether you are a good person, nor a sociopath or a trespasser. Please cooperate and control your attitude, I don't want to have a girl-prisoner," he humbly said and shook his head.

"Sorry," was all I ever said.

I thought that this thing will only take a minute or two, pero halos 15 minutes din 'ata ang tinagal namin sa loob. Bumukas ulit ang pinto at may pumasok na isa pang naka-uniform na lalaki.

"Officer Jack, a Doctor is here to clarify her name," aniya habang itinuturo ako.

"Let him come inside here, I need to talk to him."