5 - Banshee and a Ghost

Faint music plays throughout the car. Lydia's fingers keep tightening around the steering wheel and then loosening up to find a new way to hold it. I sit back in the passenger's seat, quietly singing along to the new Coldplay song. Right now, Lydia is on her way to pick Kira up from her house. I figured I would tag along with her then go with the boys to the police station to pick up Derek, who got himself in a little trouble. 

        My head rests on the headrest and I peer at my best friend. She ditched her denim jacket she was wearing earlier to just have her floral print dress on. The jacket is discarded in the backseat. She purses her lip before thinning them out in a line. 

        "Okay," Lydia exhales. "I'm probably going to sound crazy, which is why I'm doing this when I'm alone, but I need to know that I'm not going crazy."

        I sit up a little straighter. "Lydia, are you okay?"

        Lydia retightens her hands on the wheel. "I just- I've seen weird things happen these past few days. I saw a glass shatter on it's own and then this morning, the knife fell to the floor when Derek's hand wasn't near it." She presses her lips together again. "Please tell me I'm not going crazy. Is this part of being a banshee or what?"

        "Oh, my god, Lydia. You're picking up my signs." I clap my hands, happily. "I need you to know that it's me. Um- Oh! I got it." I jab my finger on the cd button on her stereo. 

        The Coldplay abruptly stops, which instantly grabs Lydia's attention as she stops at a red light. My all time favorite song, Ain't It Fun by Paramore, blasts throughout the speakers. Every time Lydia and I would ride in the car together, I would play this song over five times and she would always yell at me to change it to something else.

        Her eyes widen as she gazes at the stereo. Her mouth forms shapes, yet no sounds come out. If I look close enough, I can see her eyes tear up a little. "C-Carter?"

        "Yes! Yes, yes, yes!" I bounce around in my seat. 

        "Are you really here?" Lydia's head looks around her car, like she is expecting to see me in her backseat. 

        I drum my fingers on my thigh, thinking of how to communicate with her. "Wait, a second. Lydia, I have an idea, but it might not be best if you are driving." I concentrate on my hand not going straight through the keys as I grab a hold of them and pull them out of the ignition. This back road is usually dead anyways, hopefully no cars come. 

        Lydia almost screams when she sees the keys move on their own. They slip right out of my hand and clatter to the floor by her feet. She hesitantly picks them up, rubbing her fingers over them. 

        "They're cold." She mumbles. 

        I sit sideways in the passenger seat. "Okay, I have no idea if this will work, but you are a banshee, so there is hope. When you need to hear the spirits and voices better, you scream, right? Okay, well, maybe I just need to scream for you to hear me. Maybe it's like the other way around on this side. If I scream loud enough, there's a chance you will be able to hear me. We could communicate."

        "Did you do that?" Lydia messes with the keys in her hand. 

        "Okay, here I go. Please let this work." I rub my hands together. I inhale, deepily, before letting out the loudest scream I've ever screamed, "LYDIA!" I drag her name out for as long as I can. 

        Amazingly, Lydia spazzes out in her seat, covering her ears with her eyes squeezed shut. I let out a laugh while trying to catch my breath again.