30 - Cassettes

"I'm completely and totally fine." Stiles grabs his jacket from the chair in the hospital room and makes a beeline for the door.

I jump in front of him before Mrs. McCall can. I press both of my palms against Stiles' chest, stopping him from moving any closer to the door. "Um, no. You completely and totally have a concussion, Stiles." 

"Carter-" Stiles sighs.

"No!" I poke him in the chest. "If the rolls were reversed and I had a concussion, you wouldn't let me leave the hospital either." 

"But you don't have a concussion." He argues. 

I roll my eyes. "But if I did!" I stress to him. I push against his chest to make him take a couple of steps away from the door. "You wouldn't let me leave. I know you want to be at the station to see your dad interview Meredith, but Lydia is there and I told her to keep me updated."

Mrs. McCall walks up to stand beside me. "The doctor said you're not leaving without a CT scan." 

"We still haven't paid for the last one." Stiles tries to side step me.

I match his movements with my hands still to his chest. "Stiles, no. You're not leaving." 

"Even if I did let you go, what would you do?" Mrs. McCall asks him. 

Stiles grumbles under his breath, but moves back over to the hospital bed in the room. He sits down on the bed, scratching behind his ear. "Okay, fine. Can you do me one little favor?"

Mrs. McCall rests her hands on the end of the bed. "Anything."

"Can you get me a tape player?" 

"Like cassettes?" Mrs. McCall glances at me, confused. 

I nod my head, "Yes."

"Tapes." Stiles repeats. 

"Yeah," Mrs. McCall nods and starts to head for the door. "I'll see what I can do."

"Okay, tapes, though. Please." 

Mrs. McCall stops herself from closing the door on her way out. "Cassettes." She corrects him for the second time. This time, she does shut the door, leaving the two of us just in the room.

Once I hear the door click shut, I slide the cassette tape out of Stiles' jacket on the bed. The cassette tape that has 'Lorraine Martin' written on it in black ink. The same one that Brunski was playing back at Eichen House. 

X

"You find a tape player?" 

I roll over on the hospital bed. Stiles' voice stirs me out of unconscious. He had his CT scan late last night, absolutely refusing to wear one of those hospital gowns or stay any longer than necessary. We planned on leaving some time in the morning, which, I guess, will be soon. Stiles and I ended up falling asleep on the bed together. 

My eyes flash open at Mrs. McCall's voice.

She's standing in the room, still dressed in her nurse scrubs. "No, but I found someone looking for you." 

Malia steps into the room. I push myself up from the bed into a sitting position. My shoes lay on the ground where I left them just before I fell asleep last night. 

"I heard you two almost got killed," Malia says. 

I motion to her as Mrs. McCall shuts the door behind her. "We heard you almost got killed." I refer to what Scott called Stiles about last night.