29 - Deja Vu

"Carter! Carter, I need you to wake up!" 

Sounds of metal clanking against metals sounds muffled by the time it reaches my ears. As soon as I had fallen unconscious, my body was already beginning to heal after being tasered. The whole waking up thing seems to be taking a little bit longer. 

"Carter!" Stiles' voice fills the air around me. 

"Help us! Help us!" Lydia shouts, desperately.

"Why am I learning this exactly?" I hold my hands behind my back to allow Uncle Chris to tie them together behind the back of the chair. "I get that this family is filled with hunters, all except for my side-" I frown at the thought of my parents. "But, why the whole tying me up thing? Shouldn't you be teaching me how to fight?" 

Uncle Chris tightens the knot around my wrists. "Every hunter has to go through this test. We bind them to a chair and time them to see how long it takes for them to get out." 

He walks around to stand in front of me. The warehouse he brought me to was somewhere I've never been. I think it was somewhere downtown. Uncle Chris told me that he wanted to start training me again. He wanted to know that if he ever left, I'd be able to take care of myself. 

"But I'm not a hunter." I point out as I fidget around in the wooden chair to figure out how much I'm able to move around. "Nor do I want to be one." 

"But you do have to learn somehow." Uncle Chris sits down in the chair directly across from me. "One day, you might be caught and tied up just like this. You need to learn how to get out when you have nothing on you."

I stare at Uncle Chris. "So, you are just going to watch?" 

Uncle Chris smiles, "I have nothing better to do." He holds up his phone with a stop watch on it. "Your time starts now." He presses the start button. 

"Carter, damn it!" Stiles' voice breaks through my mind. "Open your eyes, please!"

My eyes scrunch up before they flash open. "Uh, that son of a bitch." I grumble. 

I yank on my wrists, only to find out that padded handcuffs are around my wrists. I crane my head as far to the side as I can to see them looped around one of the metal beams in the room. I twist my wrists around them, noticing that I have just enough room in them to move a little bit. 

Stiles is on my right side and Lydia is on my right. Brunski really did come prepared for this. The three of us are all chained up to the same metal support beam. 

"Are you okay?!" Stiles demands, trying to crane his head around to see me. "Carter?"

"I'm fine. I'm okay." I answer him. 

"Someone, help!" Lydia desperately screams for anyone in Eichen House to hear. 

I clench my fists together, angrily yanking on the restraints. I tilt my head backwards, taking deep breaths to calm myself down. Uncle Chris told me that emotions will make you lose your focus. I need to get them in check.

I shout out in frustration. 

"Stay calm." Uncle Chris orders me from his chair. He glances at the stop watch. "You've spent an hour and a half of yelling out and tugging on the ropes. You're overthinking. Stop and take a deep breath." 

I follow his orders, feeling myself calm down a little bit. 

"Good," Uncle Chris says. "Now, try to see if you can wiggle your wrists around."