31 - Wine

Mrs. McCall had come through with finding us a cassette player. She had to dig around a lot in some of the storage rooms at the hospital, but she did come across one. The fact that no one in the hospital even knew that it was there, she let us take it with us after she said Stiles was allowed to leave. The doctor didn't see anything that worried him and we were quickly out of the hospital, headed back to his house. 

Malia stuck around with us, deciding that she wanted to help figure out more about the Lorraine tape. Stiles and I were hoping that the tape would help us get a better idea on the whole dead pool thing. 

I rest the side of my head on Stiles' arm, listening to the tape play in his bedroom. Luckily, I have a change of clothes at his house and was able to change. I didn't have a jacket here, but Stiles' has plenty of those and I'm sure he won't miss one. 

"Let's go, Lorraine." 

I wrinkle my nose at the sound of Brunski's voice. Perhaps, I should feel bad that he's dead, but I hated the guy so much. I just can't bring myself to feel anything towards him. If anything, I'm glad that he won't be able to harass my friends anymore. Not to mention that, that asshole was going to kill the three of us- well, two of us. I can't die, apparently. 

"Listen to me. Please listen." Lorraine's voice is strained and soft, like a whisper. "There's something I have to do, something I have to stop."

"I have to take you back to Eichen, Lorraine."

Stiles leans forward to turn the volume up on the cassette player. 

"No, no. I don't think you're gonna be taking me anywhere. I can hear the recorder in your pocket. It's on now, isn't it? You're making a tape, just like you taped the others." 

I tap the pause button on the player. "This didn't happen at Eichen House." 

"But then where did she go?" Malia asks on the other side of me at the desk. 

Stiles shakes his finger at the cassette player. "That's what we need to find out." He presses the play button. 

My fingers press to my temples after the tenth time of Stiles' rewinding the tape. We keep listening to the tape over and over again, but I haven't caught any hint or noise that would help us figure out where Lorraine went. 

"- back to Eichen, Lorraine."

"No, no. I don't think you're gonna  be taking me anywhere." 

"That's it. That's where it is." Malia points to the player. "Play it again and turn it up." 

Stiles hits the correct buttons and turns the volume dial up. I frown to myself. I didn't hear anything. I slide closer in the chair to bring myself closer to the speakers. 

"No, no." Lorraine's voice begins again. "I don't think you're gonna be taking me anywhere."

A faint scratching noise can be heard in the background of their conversation. I turn to Stiles, curious to know if he is hearing what I am. Malia seems to be engrossed in the cassette. 

"I can hear the recorder in your pocket. It's on now, isn't it? You're making a tape, just like you taped the others." 

"It's the record player," Malia states. 

Stiles shuts the tape off. "What record player?" 

I raise a brow. "Wait. Do you mean the one at Lydia's lake house?"

"In the study," Malia nods, confirming my out loud thoughts.

Stiles leans back in his chair when she climbs to her feet. "So, she escaped from Eichen House to go back to listen to a record player?" He asks, not understanding.