18 - PSAT

With my arms firmly crossed over my chest, I stare straight ahead through the windshield at Beacon Hills High School with a frown sketched out on my face. Honestly, I'm not annoyed at coming back to school. I had actually missed being in class with all of my friends a little bit. However, helping Lydia convince her mom that I really was there cousin was a hell of a lot harder than we thought. Poor Mrs. Martin had felt so bad when we told her that her brother had a daughter that he never told her about.

At first, Mrs. Martin didn't believe us. I can't say I blame her. Lydia claimed that we had been in touch for a few years. Lydia said that she had offered for me to move in them whenever I wanted to and, after a few years, I had decided to take up her offer because my 'dad' was a work alcoholic. Mrs. Martin had believed that. She hadn't heard from her brother in years, which made it easier for this plan to work.

After an hour of convincing her that I was her niece, Mrs. Martin finally welcomed me into her house with open arms. She may have cried a little bit, quite upset that she had never met me before, but I just hugged her back and said it was okay. I even teared up a little bit because Mrs. Martin had always been like a mother to me. I finally had her back in my life.

Mrs. Martin's first mission, aside from making a room in her house for me, was to get me enrolled in Beacon Hills High. She said she'd do her best to make sure I had classes with Lydia because 'being the new student was hard enough'. My class schedule was in hand, but that wasn't the thing that was upsetting me. Of all days to return to school, it had to be the day of the PSATs.

Stiles shuts off the engine of the jeep, spinning in his seat to smirk at me. "Are you really going to pout the entire time?"

I stick my bottom lip out further. "No." I say, nearly sounding like a little kid who was told not to touch the cookies before dinner.

An amused laugh comes from Stiles as he unbuckles his seatbelt. "You sure about that?"

I peer up at him through my eyelashes. "No." I admit.

Stiles booms with laughter. His hand stretches out towards me. The pad of his thumb pushes on my bottom lip to stop it from sticking out. "You're going to do fine."

"No, I'm not!" I exclaim with a shake of my head. "I've been d-e-a-d for a year, Stiles. I don't remember shit." I spell out the word, like it would keep it a little more subtle.

"You'll probably do better than me." Stiles grabs his keys out of the ignition.

I curl my lip in disagreement. "I don't think the days I would spend sitting on your desk in class is going to help me pass this."

"Wait. You did what?" Stiles gapes at me.

I awkwardly laugh and choose that moment to climb out of the jeep. Stiles meets me behind the jeep with a smile still on his face. He shakes his head at me, choosing not to question exactly what I did when I was dead. Stiles and I walk up to the school. My schedule shoved in the back pocket of my jeans.

When we walk through the doors of the school, we are greeted with a line already formed for the PSATs. Scott had informed us that we'd all be in the same room together for the testing. I smile at my friends, secretly hating that Lydia was not here with the rest of us.

Kira looks around when we stop to stand beside them. "Where's Lydia?"

I lean back against the set of lockers. "She took it her freshman year." I inform her.

Malia's head pops up at that. "Does that mean I could have taken it some other time?"

I nod my head. "Maybe if you weren't in the form of a coyote. I mean, the last time you were here as a coyote, you nearly ate Kira, so that's probably not a good idea."