16. Virgil's Way In

Start from the beginning

"Before I had to escape, I was working on a serum that would serve as a cure for my... condition."

he looked down at himself,

"I wasnt able to bring it with me. Its still in my lab, and... Well, look at me. I need it."

he fixed his glasses and pinched the bridge of his nose before looking back at us,

"I need you to find it for me, if you manage to get inside the Institute. What do you say?"

(Y/N) nodded,

"You help me, and I help you."

she agreed,

"all right. Lets talk details."

he clicked his knuckles together and again moved his glasses to sit properly on his nose,

"First things firdt. You know how synths get in and out of the Institute?"

Virigl asked,

"Teleportation."

I said, (Y/N) looked at me and nodded,

"Well well... Not many know about it. Pretty closely guarded secret. You've certainly done your homework."

I shivered at the memory of (Y/N) being stuck in her memories...

"Its commenly refered to as the 'Molecular Relay'. I dont understand all the science behind it, but it works. Die-materializes you in one place, re-materializes you in another. Im sure it sounds crazy, but its a reality. The Relay is the only way in and out of the Institute. You understand? The only one. That means youre going to have to use it. Now, have you ever seen an Institute Courser?"

Virgil asked the two of us, (Y/N) shook her head,

"A Courser? Whats that?"

She asked,

"Another Institute secret."

Virigl grunted,

"Coursers are Institute synths, designed for one purpose. Theyre hunters. Operations go wrong, a synth goes missing, and a Courser is dispatched. They're very good at what they do, and you're going to have to kill one."

I looked worridly at (Y/N) who frowned,

"Why do I have to kill one?"

Smart question, I thought as I looked expectantly at Virigl,

I was really worried about (Y/N), lately shes been taking a lot of risks that I dont think she's ready for,

"Because you want to get into the Institute, remember? They're your ticket in. Every Courser has special hardware that gives them a direct connection to the Relay in the Institute. It's bedded in the chip in their heads. You need that chip. But to get it, you'll have to find a Courser. Now I dont know exactly where you can find one. They havent sent any after me, and sitting here waiting dosent seem like a good plan. You're going to have to hunt one down. I can tell you where to start, and give you some help finding one, but you'll have to do the dirty work."

(Y/N) looked over at me then back to Virigl with a sigh,

"What do I need to do?"

"Listen up. The primary insertion point for Coursers is in the ruins of CIT, directly above the Institute. So you'll want to head there. Now, the Relay causes some pretty heavy interference all across the EM spectrum. You've got a radio on tha Pip-Boy right?"

(Y/N) nodded,

"When you get to the ruins, tune in to the lower end of the band and listen in. You'll be able to hear the interference. Follow the signal, and it'll lead you to a Courser. Then you just have to... not get killed. Not gonna lie, the odds aren't in your favor here. But if you do make it, remember what i said about the serum. I need it, badly."

His eyes turned soft as he looked down at (Y/N),

"I...I really do hope you find what you're looking for."

he said to her, he gave me one last look then turned back to what he was doing.

(Y/N) turned to me, her voice quiet,

"Alright. I say we head back to Sanctuary, drop off the power armour, pick up some supplies then head to the ruins."

I didnt even get a chance to reply as she started climbing into the power armour,

I grabbed her arm,

"wait-"

I pulled her against me gently and gave her a soft kiss, it lingered a little as my hand drifted from her wrist to her waist,

I pulled away, leaning my forehead against hers,

"...We have to be careful. I know how much this means to you, but you cant save your son if youre dead."

she smiled and gave me a kiss on the cheek,

"I know. Ill be more careful. Besides-"

she slapped me on the arm as she climbed into the suit,

"One of the reasons i hired you was to protect me right?"

she chuckled in the armour and started walking out the cave,

I gave a soft laugh, took some Rad-X and Radaway and followed,

giving one last look over my shoudler at Virgil as i left.

A/N: EYYYYY IM BACK!!sorry if my updates are slow, ive had school and started working on my Newt X Reader story!(Go check it out BTW)

sorry if my updates are slow, ive had school and started working on my Newt X Reader story!
(Go check it out BTW)

MacCready: Please dont let anything bad happen Parker!

A/N: No promises >:3
anyway thats all for now!
love u all my guardians
~Parker-6A5~