Chapter Eighteen

Letter XXXVIII

January 06, 17—

Dear Mother and Father,

The return journey was longer than expected but that only gave us longer to enjoy the rolling scenery, which was very beautiful in the deepness of winter.

The chateau has been much more a-buzz in anticipation of the Marquis' wedding and his new bride, the loveliest creature I have ever laid eyes upon, has requested all the closed rooms be thrown open and dusted, the curtains pulled back and communal dinners held. We ate in the dining-parlour today, which I have never seen the inside of before; it is a large, well-proportioned room, handsomely fitted up, with a window that has a great prospect over the grounds. I am sure the sensation of being mistress over the whole estate would feel quite splendid.

I am unsurprised that the Marquis acquiesced – she already has him entranced. I was watching them yesterday, through casual happenstance, in the Rose garden where I observed that, when encountering a muddy patch of earth, the Marquis gallantly lay down his overcoat so that her ladyship might avoid sullying her dainty ribbon shoes. Their union shall be a happy one if his attention and compliance is any indication, for he dotes upon her most sweetly in this way, and endeavours to be always at her service. Most excellently, they will also open the chapel for the wedding and the servants have all been employed in scrubbing it down in time for the nuptials. This shall only be a small inclusion; I am to supervise Villette in attendance and the rest of the party will comprise the Marquis, his bride, her handmaid and the Priest they have called from a town of some distance.

The Lady's handmaid, hailing from the East of L------, is a respectable elderly-looking woman, dressed well, if not fine, and very amiable in our encounters. Her French is very poor but she makes up for it with highly exaggerated gestures and enthused pointing, and was pleased enough with my grasp of her language that she has sought me out a number of times to "chit-chat" when her mistress was particularly occupied. She is fiercely nationalistic and has expressed distaste for many of our customs but is so jovial and good-humoured even in her pride that one cannot hold it against her.

Besides, I have already learnt a great deal about the culture and customs of her nation and, as a treat to the mistress, the cook has already been cheerfully beleaguered into creating some of that nation's delicacies. I must say, I do not know if it because a French chef is making English food, but I care not for their pies and such – though, of course, I would never voice this opinion aloud in front of the formidable Ms. Pennyworth!

With, etc,

Charlotte B-----

Letter XXXIX

January 04, 17—

Dear Madam C-------,

I thank you once more for the affectionate reception I received at your home this late Tuesday; your ladyship's kindness and hospitality cannot fail of making everybody happy who is disposed so to be. I was delighted to make the acquaintance of your charming ward, so extremely accomplished at her age – her performance on the pianoforte was exquisite.

My journey was not too harsh at all, prolonged perhaps, but we had the advantage of fine enough prospects, of rolling hills and winding rivers, and pleasant forest scents that were a balm to the little rough hardship we did experience. I can only imagine how to route would appear in summer, the meadow being full of all sorts of garden flowers, and sweet herbs, the air more perfumed. They have no made any preparations for Christmas in décor but I believe that is because no effort may be spared from the wedding preparation that dominates every waking hour. I was asked to have Villette, who makes the most adorable flower Mademoiselle, recite a poem but she absolutely refused. And then, when I insisted that her father wished it, to my astonishment, she produced: